-¢нαρтєя тωєиту ѕєνєи-

FOR A SECOND, THE THREE Of them stood silently. Will seemed to be even more confused than Mike, but that woman... her expression said nothing but guilt. For the first time Mike understood the expression a deer caught in headlights because that's exactly what the woman looked like.

For a second Mike thought she would deny it, or even make a run for it, but instead she just sighed.

"I guess there's no way you'd believe I'm just on a night walk, huh?" She laughed a nervous laugh.  Yeah, sure- in this random street with a BALL GOWN for a night walk. Maybe Mike's expression was that murderous, because her laugh ceased before it was even fully formed. 

"Mike? Who's she?" Will asked quietly, and Mike immediately turned back to Will. The boy's face said nothing but fear- and Mike realized how horrible he was being, how terrified and confused Will must've been. As terrified and confused Mike himself was, Will had to be a thousand times worse. That horrible evening he just want through, being so horrified for so long: and now Mike screaming at some random lady about working for the lab?? Mike had to explain, even though he really didn't know much.

"That woman- she, well... When you had your overdose she was there. A doctor told me she was a social worker, but when we talked alone she told me she actually worked for the lab? She had this huge file with all this information about you and she... she helped me use my insurance to pay for the hospital stay, so that you didn't have to." 

Mike could remember only too well how absolutely destroyed he had been that day- so destroyed, so focused on Will, he had completely missed how terrifying it was that someone from the lab had been there.... And now that she was here too, another alarm bell rang in his head. Those lab people... They were dangerous. As nice as she was the last time he met her, it was more then safe to assume that she was.

That they were in danger.

"She works for the lab?" Will said, his voice so tiny it was almost not there at all. He looked pale and horrified, and Mike was honestly shocked he didn't have a complete mental breakdown yet. Just stay strong, baby.... He thought towards Will, not daring to say it out-loud in front of the woman, it's almost over. Soon everything will be over. Just hold on a bit longer. Stupid as it was, he hoped that somehow Will could sense his silent message.

"I do. My name is May, it's nice to finally- formally meet you, Mr. Byers." The woman said, stepping forward with her hand extended, offering it to Will for a handshake- but before she got even two steps forward Mike ran in front of him, hiding him away.

"Stay away from him." He muttered, his voice decisive. There was no way he was letting any of those lab psychos get anywhere NEAR Will.

"Very well, I guess that's fair." May said, dropping her hand back to her side. She didn't seem effected by the rejection in the slightest.  She walked past Mike, sitting crossed legged on the ground in front of the bench. 

"You may as well have a seat." She decided, gesturing at the bench besides Mike. Mike stayed standing in his protective position, with no sign of planning a movement any time soon.

"Well you want an explanation, don't you? I'm gonna get in a whole lot of trouble for this, but I guess there's really no way to avoid it now." May sighed in exasperation, pointing at the bench again, "Relax, Mike. I won't touch him, I just want to explain."

Mike stood frozen for another second. He knew it was completely stupid, but he couldn't stop the urge to protect Will. An urge so strong he wanted to grab Will tightly get in the first cab he could find and get the fuck out of that town, of the state, maybe even the country. And besides, May's demeanor was really freaking him out. So casual, like they were old friends chitchatting.