16

JOHN'S POV

For the first time in my fake world, I was delighted with myself. I was basking in the glory of finishing a case without breaking a sweat and everything was made easy with Eniola. I heard quick strides of heels and I knew who it was without looking back.

"Great job." Eniola said, patting me on the shoulders slightly.

"I know. I am the best." I said blushing furiously.

We walked to the office, giving each other brief smiles as I was too happy to wonder what would become of Mariam. As soon as I turned the door knob, Kemi jumped in my face holding fries and chicken wings in a bowl. Eniola's face turned to a scrowl as she leaned on the door with a stuttering elegance that looked more stunning than a model on the runway.

"Don't you know that it's unhealthy to give your boss such food at noon? Don't you know it contain so much sugar that would lead to diabetes and a frequent running stomach? He's not hungry. Carry your cheap meal somewhere else." Eniola said, rolling her eyes.

Here we go again

Kemi inhaled deeply before speaking.

"Do you know how many hours he has stayed in the court? Do you know how rigorous it is to sit down to listen and give judgement on a hearing? Do you know that after such exercise, the brain loses glucose that's needed to perform other activities? Do you know that he could faint any moment from now?" Kemi countered.

Eniola placed a hand on my forehead and squeezed her lips in annoyance.

"His body temperature seems perfectly fine. If you are so good at predicting that. Why aren't you in the hospital treating patients that need your gallant help?" Eniola retorted.

I was already tired of the live drama unraveled before me. If I knew Kemi was going to be an easy target. I would have exchanged her with a male secretary, but Eniola would also use him to do irrelevant things.

"Sorry to interrupt your bickering, but I am actually kind of hungry. so Eniola, speak for yourself." I said, grabbing the chicken and chips from a smiling Kemi.

"If you end up farting for five hours straight. Don't say I didn't tell you." Eniola said,settling on her desk.

I ignored her statement and went inside my office not forgetting to lock it.I really didn't want these two women to ruin my silent mode of happiness. I settled in my chair and threw a chicken wing into my mouth. I rolled the fleshy mound into my mouth, enjoying the feel and taste. I noticed Eniola, nodding her head disapprovingly at me through the glass windows and I deliberately tore the flesh of the chicken to piss her off and I was sure it did.

A few minutes, I released a huge belch from my lips. I was extremely satisfied as I patted my stomach. My eyes grew heavy and my hands threw a book off the desk. I picked it up and used it as a pillow. I laid my head on the table, telling myself repeatedly that it was only a nap. I dozed off with the book on my head.

**************************

I woke up to a banging knock as I tried to struggle between consciousness and unconsciousness. I opened my eyes to see Eniola banging the door furiously in a sequential and irritating manner. I wanted to ignore it and continue my beautiful slumber but it grew louder as it casted a light on her that I was awake.

I staggered angrily towards the door and opened it widely.

"Why have you decided to ruin my sleep?" I enquired, staring at her short form.

"How can you sleep for three hours? I was scared that something had happened to you." Eniola said with concern written all over her face.

"It's called a deep sleep. Nothing is wrong with me." I said, rubbing my eyes to remove the black bits that settled in there.