20

JOHN'S POV

My phone never left my sight as I waited for Eniola to pick up my call. I never lost count of the number of times I clicked Eniola's name in the dial log. A huge 95 dials. I knew that she was right but I wanted to judge the case tommorow and leave the law firm permanently. There was no point anymore of deceiving Eniola. I licked my bottom lip and dipped my body into the couch. I placed the phone on the table and I inhaled sharply.

A shrill tone invaded my thoughts and I picked up the phone in anticipation.

"Hello." I said, gleefully with a spirit as high as the heavens.

"Hello old friend." An unfamiliar tone said.

"Who are you? Why are you calling me in the middle of the night?" I said, dropping my feets on the tilted ground.

"How did you forget me so fast? Maybe because this is a private number. Have you forgotten your old friend? Have you forgotten the name Danjuma so quickly?" Danjuma said, chuckling into the receiver.

"Oh, I didn't know. Why are you calling me the night before your hearing?" I said, gripping the phone tightly.

"There's no need to be hasty judge, I was only checking up on you as a friend. Have you received the alert?" Danjuma said, whispering.

"Yes I have.Is that all you have to ask?" I said, tilting my phone.

"Of course. Remember we are good friends." Danjuma stated.

"Can I ask you a question?" I replied, wearing a sly smirk.

"Of course." Danjuma muttered, giving his approval.

"How much did you pay your lawyer and the plantiff otherwise called the complainant?"

"Is that question really necessary?" Danjuma inquired, his voice booming from the receiver.

"Depends on what you think sir."I said, squeezing my lips in irritation.

"Well to be specific, I paid my lawyer 40 million naira and the complainant 5 million naira. I paid for the complainant's father hospital dues so he doesn't really deserve much." Danjuma chuckled.

"That's marvellous. Have a good night rest sir." I replied, smiling into the phone.

"Remember what you have to do or things might be pretty tough for you." Danjuma teased.

"Is that a threat?" I laughed loudly, making sure he heard it.

"No,this is just a friendly conversation. I dare not provoke you.Goodnight judge." Danjuma said.

I hung up the phone in haste. Danjuma was a man of gut and suprises.I placed a hand on my chin and began to stroke an invisible beard.

"Danjuma gave me 10 million naira, he gave the complainant 5 million naira and he gave Ayo 40 million naira. Have I not being duped?" I muttered under my breath.

"Tommorow is really going to be a tough day." I said yawning, drifting off to sleep.

********

JAMES'S POV

I kept walking endlessly, avoiding the stares of people who checked my sanity with their eyes. I was in a green gown which made me look more like a mental patient. I smelt the wisp of peppered meat popularly called suya. My stomach grumbled in agony as my only meal for three days straight was a drip attached to my left shoulder. I came face to face with a familiar lavish hotel that I could identify even in my sleep, the popular Swish Hotel. I saw a familiar figure entering his car and I ran up to him.

"Dayo!" I yelled, raising my hands for attention.

"James, how are you? Why are you dressed like that?" Dayo asked, his eyes scanning my outlook.

"It's a long story. Can I lodge in your hotel? I was kidnapped and I don't have any cash on me."I said, my eyes pleading for pity.

"Of course, you can lodge inside my hotel. How can you expect me to say no after the assistance you have rendered to me in the past?" Dayo approved, displaying his milky set of teeth.

"Thank you very much." I said, patting him on the shoulders.

"Let me lock my car first." Dayo requested, gesturing with his right finger.

"Alright." I said happily, holding my hands together.

The hotel wasn't the way I remembered it to be, the last time I lodged in it. It was less glittery but now it looked so beautiful that one might mistake it for an exhibit house.

"This place has changed a lot." I exclaimed, clapping my hands.

"Yes it has, Let me show you to your room." Dayo said, smiling.

"You have grown fatter. Money looks good on you." I said, nudging him on the shoulder.

"You have grown thinner. Suffering looks bad on you." Dayo teased, his eyes twinkling in delight.

"Let's not discuss about that." I said, laughing.

Dayo took me to a VIP room to my outmost suprise. He opened the door and gestured for me to enter, the entire room stunned me.

"This is too much. Let me just stay in regular room." I pleaded, throwing my arms.

"No, this is the best way I can pay you back after making sure I didn't go to prison. Stay here ,let me get you some clothes. You don't look good in that at all." Dayo persisted, laughing loudly.

"Thank you so much. I am lucky to have the CEO of an hotel, be my friend. Thank you so much Dayo." I said, shaking his hands.

"It's alright." Dayo said, reaching for the richly designed door knob.

I settled myself on the king-sized bed and buried myself in the comfort of the soft white pillow. I thought about everything I have faced in the last one week and I gave away a weak smile. I almost died after seeing Tolani in the hospital and I was happy to be free from her finally.

I went to the bathroom and I buried my head in the sink. I washed my face thoroughly. Dark circles made a mark under my eyes and it wasn't well appreciated. My face had lines due to the severe beating I got from David. I hoped never to set my eyes on those two scoundrels. I removed the green gown and reached for the bathing robe sitting on a plastic rod. I wore the robe and tilted my head. My head was bushy and I had a stubble of beard under my chin. I hated having hair under my chin with a persistent passion.

I heard the clicking of the door and I came out of the bathroom to see a smiling Dayo with huge bags flanking his hands.

"You didn't really have to go through all this stress." I started, walking over to him.

"I told you that it's fine. I got some essentials too." Dayo replied, handling the items over to me.

"Thank you very much." I said, inhaling sharply.

"If you need anything, just call that telephone sitting beside the bed." Dayo said, gesturing to the bed side.

"And any meal you request for is completely free. If you want to stay here for three months. That's completely alright by me." Dayo added, patting me on the shoulders.

"How can I repay you?" I whispered, my voice breaking.

"Eat well and stay alive." Dayo concluded, sending me a brief wink.

"I'll see you later." Dayo said, bolting the massive door.

Then I realized that I was completely free. I looked around me and laughed deeply.

"I am free." I screamed gleefully, into the empty and silent room.