Chapter 6: Betrayal

It was an hour past midday in the Tree of Life and the aura was calm throughout the Kingdom.

By the edge of lake Pratimbimba, the King's Guard, Tundra Guard, and Jungle Guard rested.

Kion and Advik stood beside Anahita as she groaned a little.

"Stupid jackal, I almost had to rip his head off before he let go." The Panther moaned while her left paw was examined.

"It doesn't look too bad. But you should probably go see Makini just to be sure." Kion said.

Anahita nodded before she limped off.

Beshte rested in the lake with Bellezza beside him.

"Here I was hoping we'd seen the last of those feral poachers."

"I don't know if feral's the right word." Bellezza said.

"They seem pretty feral during the fight." Fuli said as she laid down beside Azaad.

"I've met feral animals before. They usually wild and unpredictable, most can't talk like the ones you've faced. But I've never heard of feral animals ongoing pain or survival instincts."

Bunga laid against a tree with Jelani and Nidar.

"I don't know, we've seen them, you haven't." Bellezza narrowed her eyes.

"Have you ever seen a feral animal?"

"Yeah, the ones we've been facing."

Jelani and Nidar both chuckled a little as the female hippo shook her head in annoyance.

"I can't say I've ever seen one. I assumed they were feral but if you think they aren't, what are they?" Beshte asked.

Bellezza sighed.

"I don't know. I'd really like to see one of them and figure that out."

"Trust me, you don't want to see one of them." Ajitbanh nearly squawked. The falcon shook a little from his earlier fight and had to be comforted by Anga who rested on the same branch.

Bellezza gave a disappointed expression to the various guardians.

"Aren't any of you interested in what's going on with them?"

Rune rested with his own Guard while three cubs played in front of the Prince.

"I don't care what they are, I only want to keep them out of our Kingdom and away from our children." The white lion gazed in a very protective manner at two white male cubs and a yellowish female.

Bellezza sighed until Beshte gave her a reassuring nudge.

"Next time we face them, I can try and catch one."

"Really!?"

"Be careful, you may bite off more than you can chew with these animals." Azaad growled while Fuli stared at her friend with the same expression.

Kion shook his head.

"Bellezza may have a point. The better we understand them the better we'll be able to defeat them. Even with our more efficient system, they're still our biggest threat." Kion then turned to Jade and Beskerm who both rested near the Jungle Guard.

"Kopa said they serve Radcliffe, you guys said you'd been to his Kingdom before. Were you able to learn anything else about them?"

Both shook their heads.

"If we had, we'd have told you by now." Jade almost laughed.

Kion gave a somewhat embarrassed look.