Chapter 7: The Northern Kingdom

Kion slowly approached the Tree of life as the stars shined down from above.

Bunga, Talib, and Beshte walked beside him.

"The day started out so good too." Beshte sighed.

"Come on guys, we can mourn Dakarai and the others but they wouldn't want us to lament their passing forever. We can't forget our duties!" Bunga tried to speak more optimistically.

Talib huffed with resentment in his eyes.

"I almost look forward to them returning. I'll put my horns through Shetani's heart."

"That's enough. We're all still reeling from what happened today. Nothing good will come from acting out on emotions. I think we should all get some rest and wait for Ono's report."

Talib reluctantly nodded.

"Sleep sounds good." Beshte yawned.

"Right, don't want to get back too late and wake up Binga. See you guys in the morning." Kion entered the Tree with a weary expression.

Beshte wasn't wrong. Everything had been going so well in the last few days. The Kingdom was safer, he and Rani had more help and more time to be with each other.

Now the future was uncertain. Kion didn't want any more uncertainty in his-

The young King's head raised slightly when he heard Nirmala and Makini's voices.

Both were carefully examining Rani on the flat rock.

"Are you absolutely certain!?" Rani bellowed with feverish excitement.

Nirmala and Makini both smiled with the sun's warmth as they nodded together.

"Rani? What's going on?" Kion asked with a mixture of confusion and concern.

The lioness turned back to Kion with tears once again in her eyes. However, Kion was shocked to see only passionate joy on his mate's face as she sprinted over and pounced him onto his back.

Rani didn't speak, she simply nuzzled Kion's face while trying to breathe.

Kion looked deeply into her eyes and felt his own breath cease. He gave one look at the two healers who nodded in the same way they had to Rani.

Kion's heart raced as it never had before. But instead of looking horrified, his look began to mirror Rani's.

Neither lions spoke, they simply closed their eyes and resumed their nuzzle.

The following day, Anga, Ono, and Ullu soared just below the clouds.

Ullu anxiously looked at her companions every few moments.

"So, what do you think this place is going to look like?"

Anga's expression became similarly anxious.

"Kopa talked with Ono and I this morning. According to him, the land is more barren than a desert. Nothing grows, darkness creeps over the sky even during the day, death stalks the land and those living are dead already."

Ullu's face nearly turned sick.

".....Is it too late to go back."

"If you don't feel comfortable doing this Ullu, I'm sure Kion would understand. Anga and I can handle this."

Ullu shook her head.

"No, I won't abandon you guys."

Ono glanced back at Ullu with different angst on his face.