Chapter 11: King of Life

The night air was calm in the Northern Kingdom. The dark and thick stratus clouds loomed over the Crusader army with perpetual darkness.

Ono and Anga felt their nerves tighten and their hearts race as they stared at the clouds. Kion and the others gazed with horror at the landscape around them. The closer they came to their destination, the more barren and ravaged the ground seemed.

They hadn't seen a herd for miles, only bones and dead plants.

"Sheesh, I thought the outlands were bad." Janja growled.

"You said it." Imara growled as she looked around.

"We getting close. Radcliffe have scouts nearby." Jane growled.

Kion nodded before he looked at Anga, Ono, and the other birds who had come.

Ono and Anga looked fiercer than any of the others.

Without a word, they took off towards the Kingdom.

"We wait here until they return!" Kion announced.

The vast army settled in for a breather as the Guards and their leaders met with Kion.

"Let's go over the plan one more time to make sure we have it down." Jane had drawn out another map of the Kingdom in the dirt for them.

"We move to the caves and free the detained predators." Kion emphasized the cave's while the others nodded.

"You think they'll help us?" Vitani asked.

"They've been locked in caves for years watching their cubs get taken from them. We'll be lucky if they have the courage to leave the caves." Talib huffed.

Jane had a very intense look on her face. The lioness growled while Vegter nudged against her.

"Crusader army save Jane's parents and others."

"Once we do that, hopefully, it will cause confusion in Radcliffe's ranks. Then we sweep in and deal with the half of his army in the main canyon. Our main objective is to break up and scatter them."

"And Radcliffe?" Rune growled.

All eyes stared intensely on Kion.

The King showed no hesitation.

"He has to die. We find and kill him before he can bring in the rest of his slave troops."

None of the others showed any signs of doubt or second thoughts at Kion's proclamation.

"We do this fast and precise. Then we all go home." Kovu said as he breathed an anxious breath.

Vitani patted her brother's shoulder in a reassuring manner.

"Vitani, you know he possessed a Dark Roar." Vitani took a deep breath.

"Yes, I've heard as much....I still haven't mastered the roar yet."

"He's powerful, very powerful. Don't try and face him alone."

Vitani nodded while her lionesses gave her reassuring looks.

Bunga tried to psych himself up by throwing a few air punches.

Fuli and Azaad similarly stretched themselves to loosen up their muscles.

Bellezza stared forward with a mixture of dread and optimism on her face.

"Are you ok?" Beshte asked.

Bellezza slowly nodded.

"To be honest I didn't really come here to fight. I wanted more to help other animals like Jane." Beshte nodded.