ONE

SUMMER NIGHTS
( one. )

━ ❁ ━

one year later

"WHAT CAN YOU GIVE TO a girl that already has everything?" Serena groaned out in frustration as she walked on the sidewalk alongside her boyfriend.

Nick choked back a laugh. "That is a good question," he said, chuckling lightly. As the two neared the restaurant they were to meet their best friend Angelina at, he tried to think as fast and as hard as he could. "Maybe, like, a spa day? Girls like that, right?" he answered unsurely, scratching the back of his head.

Serena stopped walking as they made it to the restaurant and turned to face her boyfriend. "You're a genius, babe!" she exclaimed with a large smile. "Come on, let's go inside," she said excitedly, pulling her boyfriend behind her like a sack of feather. The couple entered The Wreck and immediately searched for Angelina.

They found her sitting at a table in the back talking to a girl they've only seen a few times before, and they could tell they were having a serious conversation by the repeated use of hand gestures on the blonde's part.

"Hey, 'Lina!" Serena greeted with a large smile, hugging her best friend tightly when she got close enough.

Angelina turned away from her conversation to greet the couple. "Hey, guys!" she grinned. She motioned with her hands for the two to sit at the table with her. Nick automatically reached for the menu while Serena eyed the curly haired brunette in slight confusion, waiting for her to introduce herself.

"I'm Kiara," the girl said to Serena.

The brunette made a face of realization, emitting an amused giggle from Angelina.

"Don't take it to heart, Kie, it took her two full weeks until she remembered my name," the blonde teased her best friend.

Kiara giggled lightly, and turned to look at the blonde once more. "Just think about it, okay?" she pleaded. "It'll be fun and I promise you won't get in trouble. Besides, the boys keep asking about you," Kiara added slyly, singing that last word suggestively.

Angelina rolled her eyes in faux-annoyance. "Fine!" she gave in, chuckling. "I'll think about it." Kiara gave her a pointed look. "I promise!" she defended with a laugh.

"I'm keeping you to that," Kiara warned. "I'll see you later Angie," she smiled. She then waved to the other two people sitting across from her, and walked away. Not without throwing Angelina another pointed look, though.

The blonde laughed to herself quietly, ignoring the strange looks she was getting from her two best friends.

"You alright?" Nick asked her after a few more moments of her one-sided laughter. Angelina nodded and took a few deep breaths, trying to control herself.

"Yeah," she finally said. "So, what do you guys want to eat?"

"Literally anything, I'm freaking starving," Nick replied, opening up the menu again.

"Wait, before that," Serena intervened, placing her hand on her boyfriend's menu to push it down from in front of his face. Angelina sent her a strange look. "What was that about with that Kaylie girl?"

"Kiara," Angie corrected.

"Right."

The blonde rolled her eyes. "I was thinking of a BLT, what about you, Nick?" she asked, changing the subject.

The boy opened his mouth to respond, but was quickly cut off by his girlfriend. "Don't change the subject, hun. Come on, what did Karen want?"

"She just invited me to hangout with her and a few other friends tomorrow," Angelina responded vaguely, knowing that if she were to give the whole truth, Serena would voice her strong opinions loudly.

See, like most Kooks in the Outer Banks, Serena West believed Pogues to be the trash of the island; and that was putting it lightly. For Angelina to say she spent regular time with three of them and was about to spend a little more, well, it's safe to say that Serena would disown her on the spot.

"Oh," the brunette said, clearly unamused by the given information. She then shook her head and said, "Alright then. Let's order, yeah?"

Angelina and Nick nodded excitedly and smiled brightly when a waiter came over to them. They spoke their order to the man and waited patiently for their food to come.

"So," Serena said, breaking the silence. "How great does this sound; we begin the celebrations with a, wait for it," she grinned. "A spa day!" she said excitedly, clapping her hands together with much enthusiasm. Nick rubbed his temples with his fingers, trying to ease the inevitable headache he was about to get.

"That sounds really fun, S," Angelina grinned. "But you know that you really don't have to go through that much trouble-"

"Oh, please," Serena said, waving her friend off. "You deserve this. Not many people can say they've secured a scholarship to an Ivy League school at sixteen-years-old."

The blonde girl scoffed lightly. "I go under one condition, okay?" she said. Serena and Nick listened intently, confused as to what it would be. "Remember my plans with Kiara?"

"Who?"

Angelina rolled her eyes. "I promised I'd stop by at 2, so can we do the spa thing early?"

"Fine by me; just keep your energy up for tomorrow night," Serena replied, smiling widely at the waiter as he brought the trio their food.

"What's tomorrow night?" Angelina questioned, picking up her sandwich and taking a bite.

Serena scoffed. "Our sleepover! Remember, my place, 11 o'clock. Bingeing Netflix and stuffing our faces with popcorn," she said, a little angrily. "We've been planning this for a week, 'Lina!" she added, forcing out a laugh.

Angelina sighed. "I'm sorry, I forgot."

Nick noticed his girlfriend's anger rising slightly at her words and took the initiative to change the subject. "So, how come I'm not invited to this sleepover?"

━ ❁ ━

(note!)

bit of a short chapter cuz i needed to let you all know i changed the oc's name from valerie to angelina

next chapter starts at episode one of the show!