EIGHT

KEGGER? KEGGER.
part one
( eight. )

"HOLY SHIT, IS THAT Scooter Grubbs?" Angie whispered to JJ in shock, watching as the paramedics wheeled in a body on a stretcher. She'd recognize that man anywhere; he often came over to the Richards' Residence to speak with her father (his secretary always turned him down at the office).

"Yeah," some girl responded. "He was out during the storm. Check out this pic I got," she said, showing John B, Angie and JJ her phone. "Dead body," she grinned.

Angie's face went pale. "That's fucking disgusting," she whispered, only loud enough for JJ to hear.

"What kind of boat did he have?" JJ asked her, feeling a little queasy after seeing the photo. Angie noticed and leaned her head on his shoulder, hoping to calm his nerves a little.

"Somehow, that dirtbag copped a brand-new Grady-White," the mystery girl (Angie was the only one who didn't know mystery girl's name) remarked in surprise.

John B exchanged a look with his friends.

A shiver ran down Angie's spine. So they've found the boat's owner. And it just happened to belong to one of the poorest men on the island.

The paramedics wheeled the stretched past their small group, and Angie couldn't look at it without a heavy feeling of dread at the pit of her stomach. She buried her face in JJ's chest and breathed in his scent (a mix of water, sweat and cologne, but it was nice) and allowed his warm body to calm her down.

Angie still shivered whenever she thought about Scooter's corpse. No matter how hard she tried to distract herself with literally anything else, the image of him showing up at her front door at least three times a week, begging to see her father, wouldn't leave her brain.

While Pope ran outside to think, Angie, JJ, Kiara and John B sat on the porch of the Château, in a silence that could only be described as uncomfortable and tense.

Angie was on a chair beside JJ with her legs crossed in front of her, fidgeting with her fingers. Her mind was running a mile a minute and her heart was beating at such an awkward rate, she was scared it would jump out of her chest.

Finally, Pope ran toward them, panting, and clearly he came up with an idea.

"So, um... we didn't see anything," he said to the group, looking at each of them pointedly. "We don't know anything. We need to have total and complete amnesia."

JJ looked up and took the vape out of his mouth, which allowed Angie to steal it from him for a moment. He rolled his eyes at her but still spoke. "Actually, Pope's right for once," he said. He got off his chair to stretch his legs. "See, I agree with you sometimes. Deny, deny, deny."

Angie rolled her eyes at him and took another puff from his vape.

"Guys, we can't keep that money," Kiara spoke up, looking agitated. Angie nodded her head rapidly, agreeing with her.