SEVENTEEN

LET'S PRETEND
( seventeen. )

"WHERE DO YOU THINK you're going, Angelina?"

The voice of her mother caused Angie to jump a few feet in the air. The girl was currently applying a small amount of makeup (to hide the bruises) while she waited for JJ to come out of her shower.

Angie sighed and placed her blending brush down, quickly placing a nonchalant look on her face.

"Nowhere," was the blonde's reply.

Teresa surprised her daughter with a, "Bullshit."

"Mother!" Angie exclaimed, placing a hand over her heart dramatically. "Foul language is not permitted in this household," she jokingly tutted, repeating the same words Teresa recited to her on a regular basis.

Teresa rolled her eyes somewhat playfully, more relieved Angelina was able to joke around than frustrated at the moment. "Darling, I cancelled your appointment at the police station so you could stay home and rest," Teresa said softly, entering her daughter's room fully and taking a seat on the bed. "Do you really think you're ready to hang out with your friends so soon?"

Angie closed her eyes for a moment, knowing that her mother was right. "Mom," she started, taking a deep breath. "I don't know how else to live," she confessed, mentally cringing at how dramatic that sounded. "I can't just sit in my room, fearing to be around people for the rest of my life," she further elaborated.

Teresa nodded along, seemingly understanding.

"If wanting to look unaffected is what you want, Angelina, then I have another idea as to where you should go." Angie looked at her mother in confusion. "As you know, Nicholas was swiftly arrested last night, but that unfortunately also means that he was given bail. People talk, Angelina, you know that. If you want others to know that you're okay, then prove to them that you're okay."

"You want me to go to that volunteering thing down at the beach, don't you?" Angie asked quietly. Teresa nodded.

JJ chose that moment to step out of the restroom, towel draped over his shoulders and a relaxed smile on his face. Angie grinned at the sight.

"Morning, Mrs. Richards," JJ greeted with a polite smile.

"Good morning, John," Teresa replied.

Angie caught the flash of amusement behind JJ's eyes at the use of his real name. The boy made a beeline for the blonde girl, eventually stopping in front of her. He quickly swooped down to place a soft kiss on her forehead before meeting her blue eyes with his own.

"How are you feeling, Angel?" he asked her quietly.

Angie was caught in a daze, staring back into the boy's eyes. "Wonderful," she slowly replied, practically incapable of moving her gaze elsewhere.

Thankfully-

"You can take my car, Angelina," Teresa spoke up, interrupting the two teens' moment. The older woman looked a little uncomfortable which emitted a small giggle from Angie.