2. Darkness of Two

Two glowing red eyes burned into Riarshi's mind. The anger and hate behind them scorched with a deep, long lit flame. 

He instantly recognized the sinister eyes of this man and what they symbolized.

Demons, known for their love of creating chaos and despair throughout the human population, feasted on the misfortunes of others, devouring negative emotion like a hungry, wild beast.

The demon smirked as Riarshi nearly tripped on his own feet backing away.

"You thinking of running yet, kid?"

Riarshi, taking a deep breath to collect himself, set his feet in a wide stance. His eyes returned the burning fire, unaffected by the demon's menacing smile.

"Not even close." 

If he was going to do this, he couldn't feed the demon with his own rising fears. He had to stand strong and fight. 

"I'm not leaving without that girl!" Riarshi shouted, gripping his fists tight, digging his nails into his sweaty palms.

The demon cackled. "That's amusing, kid, but you know it's a lost battle... just look at the girl."

Riarshi's eyes darted over to the girl, who had pushed herself flat against the alley wall. He could see it - her emotions, fear, anxiety, regret - all spilling out of her in the form of a dark-purple wave, swirling their way over to the demon.

"I can already feel her despair flowing into me, it's like a never ending wave!" the demon shouted.

Despite similarities in base magical strength, demons possessed a trait that humans did not. As a human's mind filled with negative thoughts or their body flooded with fear, their very soul would emit an ominous aura. 

Demons absorbed this negative energy and could use it to enhance their own magical powers. This rare power was the sole reason a demon's life, and naturally their existence, centered on causing mayhem and panic. It was their true and most powerful source of magical strength.

The demon tensed his body. His veins popped from his forehead. He then released a pleasurable sigh into the air. The purple waves soaked into his back.

"Ahh, yes," he moaned. "My magic's growing like crazy... this is amazing! This girl is a delicious gold mine right now!" His eyes flashed an even brighter red, shading the length of the alleyway in a deep, red hue. He licked his thinned lips with a skinny and pointed tongue.

"I want more," the demon growled hungrily.

Suddenly, and without warning, he leapt with his fist coiled tightly behind him.

"Mister, look out!" the orange-haired girl screamed.

Riarshi sucked in a sharp breath at the demon's blistering, cat-like speed. Blue, shining sparks flew out from around Riarshi's feet. He swung his arm across his face, just in time to block a punch.

It was a simple blow, but insanely powerful. A sharp sting radiated from the point of impact on Riarshi's forearm and traveled to his hand and shoulder, sending a wave of weakness to his knees.

He jumped back to avoid a sweeping kick from below his feet, but the demon didn't back down. The man remained in quick pursuit.

Shit, I can't tell what this guy's magic power is.

The demon swung another massive punch, but again, Riarshi raised his forearm to accept it. 

Crushing power.

With an audible crack, Riarshi's forearm broke. Burning, sharp pain exploded throughout his arm.

Riarshi maintained his stance. He pushed his screaming arm strongly against the man's fist, trying to shake away the stars floating in his vision.