21. Just a Spar

Fall had reached its middle stages as the air became more chilled and dry with each passing day

Fall had reached its middle stages as the air became more chilled and dry with each passing day. Short-sleeved shirts and tank tops transitioned to long sleeves and sweatshirts. Some students, however, still insisted on bringing iced-coffee to class despite the winds nipping at their exposed necks.

Riarshi had been in the Hero Program for two months now, with the past month seeming to have flown by at light-speed. To him, it didn't seem like it was only two weeks ago that he carried Hara, drunk off her rocker, home from the club to her empty single apartment.

In the weeks since that eventful night, Hara returned to her normal self, albeit with a few subtle changes. Her icy demeanor towards Riarshi had melted slightly, and they could share a few words during walks on campus or on breaks without fear of violence. 

Her avoidance of Riarshi had dissolved, and she now exchanged pleasantries with him in passing. She even began accompanying him and Tabito to Merino's more often than before, although she still quietly surfed through her phone the entire time. 

Riarshi, who returned her attempts at being civil with his own, enjoyed these slight changes.

Did this change come about because of her gratefulness for his help that night? Or had she softened because of the second piece of blackmail Riarshi had against her? Maybe it was because he forgave her for the tree mishap during the third exam? Whatever the reason, he enjoyed this new - slightly warmer than freezing - side of the sapphire-eyed beauty.

These thoughts ricocheted through Riarshi's head while he packed his bag at the end of class. The ground underneath his feet spread its stone-like cold through the soles of his shoes. Even the bright afternoon sun couldn't dispel the fall's chilly blanket with its warmth.

Riarshi stood up with a grunt and tossed his bag over his shoulder. He didn't hear Tabito approach.

Tabito slid to Riarshi's side. "Hey, you wanna stay after today and spar? I wanna go over today's lesson again," he whispered through a cupped hand.

Taken aback, Riarshi glanced at him sideways. Tabito had shown no issues with today's assignment. Come to think of it, Riarshi couldn't remember the last time Tabito struggled in practical class, or any class for that matter.

"Uh, sure, I'm down."

The fourth and final practical exam - the Internship Tryout - was looming over the two of them like a dark storm cloud refusing to pass. Riarshi, although greatly improved in terms of magical potency and utilization, still lacked the confidence he desired to succeed. In the last few weeks, he saw any extra time for improving his magic as valuable as gold.

Tabito ran over to Professor Khohn, who stood on the side of the field with his arms crossed, surveying the class as they left. He wore a white, collared shirt with a thick green sweater, clearly prioritizing warmth over style. Tabito asked him if they, pointing to Riarshi, could use the field to practice.