5. Sign Up

"Hmm, he's pretty cute," a young, tanned girl in a pair of white jean shorts whispered to her friend as they strolled along a dirt path in the fairgrounds.

Her grass-green eyes, smouldering behind long lashes, scanned the hazel-eyed boy walking by them on the path. The cuts and shadows of trained muscle displayed by his tank top were darkened by the intense summer sun beaming down that late-August afternoon.

At twenty years old, she had seen - and experienced - her fair share of attractive males during her first years at university. But this boy was naturally cute, and she couldn't sense a single ounce of cockiness in his aura. There was something in his aura, however, that sent a sudden, mysterious chill down her spine. Her imagination went wild.

Her dirty-blonde hair, tied in a tight ponytail, waved in a passing breeze, dropping gracefully along her back once her eyes tore from the boy and returned forward. A bright white smile filled her face as her friend looked knowingly at her. Their girlish giggles faded into the distance.

Riarshi, feeling his ears burn, continued walking, trying to pay no mind to either of them. He had something to do. He'd be lying, though, if he claimed he didn't use his magic to take a lightning quick glance at her from head to toe. Not that he had the courage to say anything, nor the experience.

The Woodcer Fair was an annual county fair held in a huge, open grass field on top of a flat hill during the final weeks of August. Stalls and stands were organized in a symmetrical grid formation, with dirt paths intersecting each other for the hundreds of guests to walk on.

Riarshi's feet carried him along the dusty path. Looking around, he passed by the various stands selling fried dough, ice cream, root beer, cotton candy, and countless other fair related goods and services. To his right, an extensive section of the fair grounds was dedicated to rides and games. Lights of every color were dotted along the exterior of the metal rides, spinning in a whirling circle that could unsettle even the strongest of stomachs.

Although the amazing smells and sounds of the fair were undoubtedly enticing, Riarshi had no desire to indulge today. In the distance, he looked to a small stand sitting between a food truck and a pig racing track. Today was the day he would begin his journey to become a Magic Hero. Today, he would sign up for the Magic Hero Program.

"Why hello, hun. Are you interested in signing up for the Hero Program? It only costs sixty dollars!" a female Hero with light-red hair joyfully asked Riarshi once he stepped up to her table. She appeared to be in her mid-thirties. Her toned, athletic build was attired in a white and purple spandex suit - the female version of the usual white and blue Hero Uniform. Her smile, wide and sparkling in the sunlight, was kind, inviting, and portrayed a warm sense of motherly comfort.

"That I am, ma'am," said Riarshi with a newly found energy. "I've been wanting to for a while, but was sadly never old enough to sign up."

Her eyes didn't stray from him. Instead, her eyes seared into his. "I take it you're eighteen then? And graduated high school?"

Riarshi nodded. "Yes, to both. Just this last spring. I have my ID with me too to prove it."

"Excellent!" she cheered, clapping her hands together. "You meet all the requirements." To her right stood a tall pile of stapled paper packets. Licking her finger, she grabbed one and slid it across the table. She tapped it with a fingernail. "Please, just fill out this form for me and everything will be all set. We'll process the information and you'll receive an email about orientation in a few days. You actually lucked out, hun. Classes start next week and today was the final day to sign-up."

Riarshi looked at her oddly. "That's all for prerequisites?"

"Of course! Here at the Professional Organization of Heroes... I'll call it POH for short. Too hot out here today to keep saying it fully... We like to give everyone a shot at becoming a Hero. It is, after all, the country's number one desired occupation according to countless surveys. Good pay, excellent benefits, and the chance to become nationally famous! Who wouldn't want that?" She tapped on the packet again with her finger, this time a little more forcefully. Riarshi became entranced in her salespitch.