18. The Grimoire (Part 2)

Music blasted throughout the club. Each bass drop travelled down Riarshi's body, resounding powerfully in his knees.

Dozens, if not hundreds of clubbers flooded the dancefloor, shaking, twirling, and moving rhythmically to the music. The twenty maroon leathered seats lined up along the bar were occupied by men - dressed in fitted dress shirts and dark denim jeans, and women - dressed in cropped mini skirts and revealing low-cut shirts, with sparkling diamond earrings in the form of studs or large hoops.

The clang of drinking glasses and random shouts from tables of patrons merged with the music to create an unfamiliar harmony for Riarshi's ears.

From the outside, The Grimoire didn't seem too large in size, emphasized by its tight squeeze into one of the square's corners. Contrary to outward appearances, it was visibly much more spacious once one entered the front door.

Was this the work of a spell? Riarshi was not sure. What Riarshi knew, however, was that he could easily get lost if he didn't follow Tabito and Hara closely - keeping his eyes forward, rather than studying his surroundings.

"Alrighty guys, let's snag a table before they all get taken up!" Tabito suggested, waving for his classmates to follow him. Riarshi and Hara stuck close, their feet slipping on a wet spot now and then.

While they crossed the noisy club, from the distance, someone shouted out to them incoherently. Tabito and Hara kept walking, but the voice caught Riarshi's attention. He stopped and turned toward the source: a table along the right side of the club, a few strides away from where he stood. To his dismay, familiar faces filled the seats.

"Woah, look who it is! Lagic's here to par-tay!" someone at the table shouted, slurring the words. His teal hair and yellow eyes glittered in the occasional flashing ray of colorful light.

It was Leon. Smirking, he had his arm wrapped around the shoulders of a very pretty blonde seated next to him.

"That's the commoner kid you were talking about, Leon?" asked a different female at the table who Riarshi didn't recognize. Her hair was jet-black, and hung just below her ears. She had a noticeable mole on her left cheek, unsuccessfully covered with makeup.

"That it is," Leon confirmed. He lifted the glass in front of him and brought it to his lips. He drew a lengthy sip from a bright pink liquid, smacked his lips, and shook his head as he exhaled. 

"There something you need, Leon?" Riarshi asked bluntly, showing no sign of actual interest.

Leon gave him a searing gaze. "Nope! Just elated to see your shining face having fun! Must feel great to be carefree in and out of class. Enjoy it while you can before you're shipped back off to the slums!"

"Oh, come on Leon, stop giving the poor Lagic a hard time. He's cute," said the blonde seated next to Leon. She had a nasty smirk on her powdered face and sent Riarshi a smouldering look. "I think I want him as a pet."

Her shining blonde hair draped down her back and her wide, bubble-pink eyes practically groped Riarshi from head to toe. Riarshi shuttered.

"What you think, cutie?" she asked, putting her elbows on the table, leaning in, and resting her chin on her palm. "Wanna be my poor little Lagic dog?" She batted her eyelashes.

"Yeah, no thanks," Riarshi snapped almost instantly.

Taken back by the refusal, she scowled. Her pretty face suddenly turned sour and ugly. "Humph, you're no fun. Not like that was an actual offer, anyway. Killjoy. Get lost then," she scoffed, and leaned back into her chair, lifting her drink to her glossy lips.