30. A New Beginning

The soft, mellow darkness of the dream faded gradually as Riarshi's eyelids slowly crept open, finding the pink, purple, and golden glow of an early morning extending across the vast sky

The crisp, dawn air swept along his bare skin, further waking him from his dream with a cold shiver. Blades of grass tickled his arms as he lay peacefully in an open field.

Despite the sharp pains radiating throughout every inch of his body, racking his muscles and bones, he somehow found the strength needed to sit himself up to observe his surroundings.

The morning sun - just a half-circle of hazy golden light - rose over the distant buildings of downtown Spiritfield, blanketing the streets and shorter buildings within the dark-indigo shadow of the towering skyscrapers. Warm orange light coated the thousands of windows and rooftops spread wide along the horizon.

This familiar city-wide overlook was from the top of The Divinity Rise, and Riarshi was sitting in the grassy clearing. He had witnessed this awe-enducing view when Hara led him here during the third practical exam. Riarshi, however, had not visited the overlook since, despite its natural, overwhelming, and eye-opening beauty.

Riarshi noticed he wasn't alone. The silhouette of a medium-framed man with long brown hair flowing down to his shoulders sat on the overlook edge. He faced away from Riarshi, staring out into the rising run with his arms crossed casually over his knees.

Though his body revolted with awful aches, Riarshi pushed himself to his feet and limped to the edge. With a grunt, he plopped himself on the wet morning grass next to the silhouette.

"You healed well from that punch," said Riarshi, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, I'm lucky I've learned some basic healing spells during my time as a Hero."

A second of silence hung over them.

"Was all of that true... Professor Khohn?"

"Every bit."

Riarshi sighed through his nostrils. "I see..."

He sat silently, sorting through everything he had just heard in his dream. He tried putting it all into place, trying to make sense of the surprising revelation and the sudden flood of memories. His brain felt like it was on the verge of bursting. It wasn't until Professor Khohn turned his head that Riarshi popped back into reality.

"So, Riarshi... Why do you want to be a Hero?"

Riarshi didn't answer immediately. The question had caught him off guard. He took a moment to ponder his answer.

"Well, it's always been about showing others that I belonged," Riarshi said softly. "I've been living, eating, and breathing alone in this world for so long that I only wanted others to see me, to notice me. I've felt so cast aside for my entire life. It was like I had no true meaning in this world. But in reality, I think I was honestly trying to prove to myself that I belonged... because for a while, I truly believed I didn't."