Chapter Eleven

Janet wasn't kidding when she told me this job came with good perks.

"I seriously get my own staff?" I looked at her. "I'll be an intern with my own staff?"

She nodded. "And a suite and an office and a clothing budget."

"And they aren't charging me for room and board, so it's going to cost me nothing and I'm going to be paid all of that money?"

"What can I say? The king is desperate to redeem his son's reputation."

"Do you think I could sneak in a day off?" I handed the contract back to her.

She doubled over laughing and, through tears, she told me to stop being so funny. When she finally composed herself, she straightened up and looked me dead in the eyes. "No. I don't think you can sneak in a day off unless you, personally, are dead."

"Well, you can't have it all, I guess." I shrugged. "Now, about those shoes I was promised?"

"I've been authorized to offer you some incentives to accept the position." Janet smiled and pulled her work credit card out of her wallet. "And one of those incentives is an appropriate wardrobe to arrive in Montalivet with."

We looked at each other, and identical grins spread across our faces.

"Shopping trip!" we called out together, walking toward the front door.

"Wait!" I stopped her as we walked out the door and towards her car. "What happens if I don't accept the job? Will you get in trouble for taking me on the shopping trip?"

She squirmed a little and then answered. "Well, technically this is being offered without conditions, but I might have to take some of it back if you say no."

"Well, in that case, let's go!" I smiled and laced my arm through Janet's. "I'm definitely not saying no to a royalty appropriate outfit. Even if I don't take the job, I'm going to need some comfortable shoes."

Janet laughed at me and got into the car. "Well, in that case, let's go somewhere nice. What do you say to a little drive?"

"The city?" I turned to her, hoping to gauge her reaction from her facial expression, but she stared at the driveway and pretended to focus on driving.

Eventually, after I stared at her for a few blocks with an increasingly large pout, her neutral expression fell away and she smiled. "Why do you do that?"

"Because it's fun!" I settled back into my seat and busied myself finding something to listen to while she drove.

"Well, you won't be able to do that this summer." She glanced at me briefly as she spoke. "The king won't take too kindly to you making ridiculous faces in the media."

I stuck my tongue out at her, and she laughed.

"At least that's one good thing that could come out of this summer," she told me as she turned onto the highway. "So we're at three things now: working with me, living in a palace, and no obnoxious faces."

"Those are the things that are good for you," I pointed out. "What's good for me are money and living in a palace. I'm honestly a little worried about playing a princess-to-be."

"It's not that hard." She smiled and put her hand on my shoulder. "I can teach you everything you need to know. You always have such poise and once we get your wardrobe sorted out, we'll just have to work on some way to keep your face from betraying your secrets."

"You've met me, right?" I gestured to my face.

She groaned and took the next exit before she spoke. "I knew I should have hired an actress instead."

"You still could, you know." I couldn't help but wonder if she was right. "I don't need to accept the offer. I can just say no." I'm sure I could find another job, right?

* * *

We had purchased several outfits and shoes, but decided to stop for ice cream before finding accessories.

"I need to practice being a princess-in-training," I said to Janet, "so I'd like a strawberry sundae, please."

"If you're a princess, you definitely can't have strawberry." She looked at me seriously. "It'll mess up your outfit if it spills. Plain ice cream only." She managed to keep a straight face for a minute before bursting into a fit of giggles.

"Well, that's it," I laughed. "I'm out of here." I turned on my heels and pretended I was about to walk out of the store.

"Well, if you act like that, I think we'd be better off without you," she spoke between giggles.

She had unknowingly hit at the exact thing I was most worried about. "Can I really pull this off?" I said aloud instead of keeping inside my thoughts like I should have.

"Yes," Janet answered me without looking at me. "I know you can. As long as you listen to advice and follow the rules."

"How do you know?" I'm usually so confident at job interviews. I always feel nervous but ready to face the challenges. And on paper, this job seemed easier than any of the rest I'd applied for. So why was I so scared to say yes?

"I know." She smiled and put her hand on my shoulder. "Because you are one of the most resilient people I know. I'm sure you're the best person I can think of to help run charities and care about other people. That's what this job's all about. Caring for people. So no matter what you don't have, I know you have that in abundance."

I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes, so I brushed them away and changed the subject.

"So, if I'm not a princess yet, can I get a strawberry sundae?" I pushed my face into a smile.

Janet nodded and then finished her thought despite my attempts. "And I know the change of scenery would be good for you. You need to be away from here. Away from him."

Don't remind me. My tears threatened to spill over again. I don't want to admit it, but it's clear Janet is right. I do need to get away from him.

Janet paraded me around town to all of the shops, collecting things that were probably unnecessary.

"I hope you don't get in trouble for this." I stopped her before she bought me a pile of scarves that must be more than a month of my paycheque. "I don't want you to lose your job for me."

"Please," she laughed. "Who else could they get to keep Clarence even sort of under control for as little as they pay me? I'm not worried." She handed the man her credit card. "Plus, I can't have you looking shabby when you step off that plane."

"Oh no, I hadn't thought of that." I could feel the heat raising in my cheeks and was thankful she couldn't see it. "Do you think the press will be there?"

She looks at me, probably trying to gauge my reaction before responding, "I'm not sure, but there's usually only a few cameras. Nothing too crazy."

"Okay," I sighed, "that sounds manageable."

Janet didn't say it, but I could almost hear her think, Does that mean you'll do it, then?

I didn't answer her. 

A/N: What do you think of Janet so far? Love her? Hate her? Somewhere in between?

As always, thanks for reading! Comments and votes are always appreciated :)