Chapter Sixty-Six

I snuggled into Clarence's side as we sat on the couch in a family room I'd never seen before, watching a wall-sized television as the newscaster discussed the event I'd held yesterday. I couldn't look at anyone's faces, but I could feel the family staring at me as I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.

"Queen Adele and King Richard were so impressed with the event they've promised to make it somewhat of a tradition in years to come. We don't have the details yet, but as soon as we do, we'll be letting you all know how you might have a chance to attend next year."

The two women at the desk discussed the excitement of being invited to the garden party in years to come, and still I couldn't believe what I had heard. It was a dream, right? I sat up straight and turned to face that king and queen, whose faces remained trained on the screen, though Queen Adele's lips had pulled up in a small smile.

In the end, it was Madeline who gave me my much needed clue.

"Okay," she said, "I just can't believe we aren't going to talk about it!" She ran over to give me a hug. "I'm so glad you're going to stay. I always wanted a sister, because he's the worst sibling in the world. Trust me." I laughed and Clarence stuck out his tongue.

"I'll have to take your word for it," I said, ducking back behind a pillow to protect myself from the sibling rivalry happening in front of me.

"Children," Queen Adele spoke softly, but it cut through their giggles and silenced the room. "The special is starting." Her smile was caring and motherly, and she slid her arm through her husband's, leaning into him as they watched their wedding images flash across the screen.

I looked at Clarence and back to the king and queen. I want that one day.

The television flashed images of King Richard and Queen Adele throughout the years, dancing at balls, opening museums, bringing their children home from the hospital, and everything in between, right up until the photograph from the first ball I ever attended flashed onto the screen.

It was hard not to notice me, my golden gown sparkling in the light from the cameras. I chanced a glance at Clarence and he was smiling down at me. "You looked beautiful," he whispered. "We'll have to watch you at balls or they might try to take you from me."

"Let them try," I said, resting my head on his shoulder. "I'll learn karate or something."

He chuckled and the images zoomed in to focus on Clarence and myself before the music shifted and the pictures began to focus on our short amount of time together. Finally ending with a video of us walking through the town and a of the queen hugging me at the end of my event the day before.

"That was beautiful," I said without thinking. And in the silence of the room, I was sure everyone must have heard me.

"It was," said Queen Adele, wiping a tear from her eye. "It is nice to celebrate." She stood up. "Thank you for being here with us, but I think it's time I head to bed. I'm not as young as I used to be."

I stood up to curtsey, but instead was pulled into a warm hug by Queen Adele. "I think you will find your photographs have slipped to the media, somehow," she whispered in my ear. She must have seen the shock on my face when she pulled away because she answered my question before I had to ask. "It's a good thing, dear." She pointed to the television. "Take a look."

The newscaster pulled up a picture of Clarence and I in the clearing of the garden. "Our two lovebirds stealing a moment alone during the anniversary party it seems," the two women were discussing how cute we were together and our compatibility. As expected, there was some debate over my suitability for the position, but not a word about Josh or the authenticity of my relationship. It was a tenuous place to be, but better than the day before. That's all I can hope for at this point.

"Thank you," I said to Queen Adele as she and King Richard left the room. "I hope to learn all I can from you."

"I look forward to it, dear." She waved and left the room, Madeline quickly following suit and leaving Clarence and I alone with the television and the guards for company.

"So." He looked down at me as he fiddled with the hem of my dress with his hand. "I guess we're going to be spending a lot of time working together this summer."

"I guess we are." I looked up to smile at him to see that he was already smiling down at me.

"What do you say we spend some time just dating each other, too?"

"Like normal people?" I asked, exaggerating my features to pretend to be shocked by the news.

"Well, maybe not like normal people." He gestured to the guards who now watched us. "But as much as we can achieve that. I know dating me is a bit weird and comes with a mandatory job application."

"Ah, but I already have the job. So how about we start with some popcorn and a movie in this lovely home cinema you seem to have?"

"I can't believe you." He chuckled and shook his head. "How about we go for a walk to look at some flowers first?" He stood up and held his hand out, waiting for me to accept.

I slid my hand into his and got up off the couch, following him outside into the garden, which was lit up from every angle by hidden twinkling lights like the ones that lined Clarence's private terrace.

We walked hand-in-hand, the moon streaming down to illuminate the pathway towards my new favourite place in the world.

"I could get used to this," I sighed, sitting down on our bench and pulling my feet up underneath me.

He kissed the top of my head. "You could, you know?"

"I'd like to," I whispered, echoing the words I had said the first time I saw this place. Only this time, I didn't shy away from his face. I looked back up at him and stared into his deep brown eyes as I said it.

We cuddled together watching the stars dance through the trees until I couldn't feel my toes. Clarence kissed my forehead one last time and then stood, pulling me up with him.

"You ready?" he asked again.

"Of course."

I pulled his arm around my back and carried my shoes as we walked back towards the palace, the moon mixing with the lights to guide us.

Whatever happened next, I would be ready.