Chapter Fifty-Eight

The next morning, after coming back from some type of museum opening the whole family had attended, I stood outside the king's office, waiting for my appointment to speak with him. He hadn't been very receptive to the whole idea, but something must have persuaded him.

Three minutes after my appointment was scheduled, the king spoke from inside the office and the guards swung the doors open, allowing me to enter.

"Good morning, Your Majesty," I said, curtseying before I stepped inside. The doors clicked shut behind me as I walked across the floor towards his desk.

"Genevieve," he said, barely pausing to look at me. "What am I to do for you today?"

That's a weird way to ask that, I thought. But when a king asks you a question, I guess you don't say no. "I would like to speak to you about the timeline of events, Sir." I didn't sit down, but remained standing a few feet from his desk as I spoke.

He put his pen down and looked up to see me. "And why would there be anything to discuss?"

"Well, sir. I think to really fix this problem, I need to show the people not only that Josh is lying, but also that his accusations are unfounded. I have compiled all the proof I need to prove every word Josh said was a lie, and I will be working with the public relations office on a strategy."

"Good--" he started, but I kept talking.

"But, two days isn't enough time to make the people believe I'm in this for the right reasons. They need to see the prince and I together in order for that to happen. They need to see us to realize it is authentic."

I could see him starting to think about my point, but his severe eyes still didn't seem convinced. "But if I let you stay, and you fail to convince them, there is even more mess to clean up."

"Perhaps. But if you don't let me stay you have Clarence to contend with, not just his image. And if you allow me to stay and it works, then there is no mess for you to clean up at all." I tried to reason with him.

But he'll see right through me if I don't give him the real reason.

I take a deep breath. "And, on a personal level, being able to stay here is a pretty big deal to me." I looked down at my shoes. "All I'm asking for is one more day. A chance to attend your anniversary ball and show the people how much I care about this country." It's now or never. "And how much I care about your son."

I stood there, shaking, for what felt like half an hour before King Richard finally spoke. "Send what you have to my assistant. If it is sufficient to discredit your Josh, I'll give you another day. If not, you're gone tomorrow morning."

I guess that will have to do. "Thank you," I curtseyed and left the room. A chance was better than nothing, at least.

* * *

I was rushing down the hallway that afternoon while Clarence was at some kind of royal viewing or something, so Janet was rushing after me.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" she asked, our heels clicking like woodpeckers on a tree as we scurried around the palace. "I mean, it's Abigail."

"I have no other way without involving Queen Adele or King Richard. And for it to work, I can't involve them, okay? I have to try."

"Don't say I didn't warn you," she said, refusing to follow me through the door into the public relations office.

"Hello, Jeremy," I smiled at the one person who didn't hate me. "Do you know if Abigail's in her office?"

He looked up over the top of his computer. "Yeah, I think she is. Or she was a minute ago. Maybe try the break room?"

I thanked him and sped away towards the break room, crashing into Abigail as I rounded the corner into the hallway.

"What are you doing here?" she spat. "I had assumed after yesterday you would be aware you didn't have a job here anymore."

"Can we just talk?" I asked her, fully expecting her to say no.

She sighed. "Fine. In my office, please." She held her hand to indicate I should go before her, so I opened the door and stepped into her office. I took a deep breath and sat down on one of the couches, waiting for her to close the door before I spoke.

Here goes nothing. Bigger person, Genevieve. I took another deep breath and pressed my palms into my thighs. "First, I just wanted to apologize for how I acted yesterday. I know I was out of line with how I spoke to you. And while I would like to discuss some of the issues I raised, I know there was a better way to handle it, and I'm sorry I didn't do that."

That was all true, though I was definitely laying it on a little thick.

She sat down on the couch across from me, saying nothing.

I waited a few moments before continuing. "And I wondered if you would be willing to help me put together a small garden party so that commoners can have a chance to celebrate the king and queen's anniversary. I'm hoping the opportunity will boost public morale after what Josh tried to do."

Here goes nothing, I thought, It's time to tell her the truth.

"I want to make sure that even if I'm gone in a week, I don't ruin the relationship between Clarence and his people. He cares for this country. That much I can tell. And I can't do that without your help."

She stared into my eyes for a few moments, her mouth closed into a small line on her face. Finally, she crossed one of her legs over the other, placed her hands on her knees, and answered me. "So what exactly would this party entail?"

I smiled. "Well, I was thinking we could invite some of the people who aren't allowed to come to the ball and surprise the king and queen somewhat. I know I'll have to get their permission to host the event, but they don't have to know what it's for."

Abigail stood up and walked around her desk, starting to type as I spoke. When I laid out my whole plan, she looked at her computer for a few minutes before looking at me. "I think it could work. But if I'm going to be the one putting this together, then we're doing it my way."

"As long as Clarence and I are the hosts, I'll work with what you give me," I agreed. I really don't have another choice.

"Okay," she said. "I'll do it. But only because it's actually a good idea and it will definitely make me look good."

I didn't know if she was saving face or telling the truth, but in that moment, I didn't really care. A very small part of me was finally starting to feel like maybe I could do this.