Chapter One

~ What goes around, but does not comes around ~

Friederica from Legend of the Galactic Heroes once said, "The world can see the last of democracy, or it can become a plain of nuclear waste. I only wish that he can stay by my side, awake or asleep, reading a book."

My dream, is also as simple as that.

The taxi finally came to a stop. My drowsiness throughout the ride probably compounds the shock I felt when I see the amount of luggage the driver pulled out of the boot.

"Two suitcases, one duffel bag, hold on to this backpack first, and, don't forget these two paper bags."

The taxi driver is a kindly middle-aged uncle, very friendly, he looked at the bags lined up in front of me with a mixture of sympathy and envy: "Did you just come back from visiting home during the spring break?"

I laughed self-consciously.

When I set off to my parents' place, I packed two sets of clothes and other necessities into a small suitcase. Besides a big bag of presents, the only other item was the clothes worn on my body. Where on earth did all these extra baggage come from!

I can recognize a suitcase that is packed to the brim with clothes, gloves, scarves and shoes bought by my mother and brother, but ...... what's up with that blanket?

Are there no blankets for sale in Shanghai? And a bag which Yi Chen secretly stuffed with innumerable CDs of all kinds, are you kidding me, does it need to be so many, it is not as if I plan to set up a wholesale business. Inside those kraft paper bags, needless to say, would be my mom's fried fish and canned braised meat, while the backpack is filled with mandarin oranges.

Why do I have to lug these items that can be bought from any other corner in Shanghai halfway across the country.

I raised my head to the view of the building, my rented apartment is on the fourth floor.

The FOURTH floor .........

It should not be a problem. When I was in sixth grade of elementary school, due to the high incidence of bicycle theft, I had to carry mine up five stories, and carry it down five stories again to go to school, building a stamina that belied my physical build. I was only nine then, and the bike was the height of my person. I clearly remembered I could practically fly up the stairs, at twenty now, I should be even stronger.

I inhaled deeply, tried every means to hang each piece of baggage onto my body, transforming myself into a movable multi-functional clothes rack, got ready to conquer the stairs in one breath, and suddenly noticed a pile of abandoned furniture near the dumpster.

Sofa, television, stereo set ...... wow ...... it can make up a whole set of home furnishing. It looks old, but it still seems like such a pity to just throw them out.

...... Leave it, there would not be space for them even if I bring them home.

They look kind of familiar though.

While debating in my head, I made my way up the stairs, my breathing labored. The moment I reached the door of my apartment, I relaxed my arms and the bags slide down all over my body. I dug out the keys ready to unlock the door, and realized the doorknob is gone.