He Did It Again

NATALIE'S POV:

It was 10:00 am the next day. Alex hadn't called, texted or even tried to contact me since Christmas. I know I sound like a clingy girlfriend, but he had promised we were going to spend the day together!

"Natalie!" My mom shouted up the stairs. "Alex is here." I ran down the stairs and flung myself at Alex. He stumbled back, but wrapped his arms around me and kissed the top of my head. As I began to slip out of his grasp, he grabbed my hands and pulled me back into his chest. I stiffened at his sudden burst of affection, but relaxed when he rested his chin on my head.

"I love you, Natalie." Alex whispered into my mop of hair. I smiled into his chest and hugged him tighter.

"I love you too." I said, looking up at him. Alex leaned down to kiss me and my eyes fluttered shut.

"Uh, you know that I ship you two, but can you stop being all lovey in the living room?" My mom said as she stood in the doorway to the kitchen. I blushed and led Alex upstairs. When we arrived at my room, I shut my door and pushed him against the wall. Alex draped his arms around my waist.

"I missed you," I whispered into Alex's ear, pushing myself up against him. His muscular arms dropped from my waist and his eyes clouded with guilt.

"What's wrong?" I asked Alex, pushing off the wall and falling onto my bed. Alex fell next to me and clutched my hand. All I wanted to do was kiss him, but Alex obviously had some other plans. Suddenly Alex wrenched his hand away from mine and held his face in his hands.

"I'm sorry." Alex whispered into his hands.

"For what?" I reached for Alex's hand again and he let me take it.

"S-She kissed me. I can't believe it... I was dreaming of you and then..." I let my hand drop from Alex's grasp. Jenna, that...Grinch!

"Y-You kissed her?" I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. A stray tear fell and Alex reached up to brush it away. I grabbed his hand before he could touch me.

"I was dreaming of you, I-I thought she was you." Alex's eyes were filled with tears as he looked into my eyes, searching for an emotion. To be honest, I was completely numb to Alex's confession. I only felt the hot tears running down my face and a huge lump in my throat. He had done this to me before and I forgave him without thinking at all. I followed my heart and it epically failed. This time I needed to think.

"I-I just need some time, okay?" I sniffed and avoided Alex's eyes. Alex got up to leave and I felt as if a huge weight was placed on my shoulders.

"Natalie," I looked up my eyes rimmed with fresh tears. "I-I just need you know that I love you and I wouldn't intentionally do anything t-"

"I know Alex, I know..." I said, cutting Alex off. I watched him walk away until I heard him drive away. The tears that I had been holding in spilled out and my mom came and sat down next to me. I fell into her.

"H-He did it again mom. He stepped on my heart..." I choked out, another round of tears engulfing me.

"I know honey, I know." Mom said, rubbing my shoulders and clutching me to her side.

"I just need some time, okay?" Mom nodded and left me alone. I pulled out my phone and plugged in my headphones. I curled up on my bed and listened to Vienna by The Fray and tried to forget him.