14

SEVEN

"You bastard."

My eyes widen in shock when Jimin wraps his bare hand around the knife, forcing it away from my neck. The blade digs at least an inch into his palm, and I can only watch completely stunned as blood covers his skin.

And then he twists the weapon from the startled man's grip, twisting it to hold the handle instead.

He drives the knife straight into his neck.

"Jimin!" I yelp once he pushes off of the man's corpse, my eyes widening as soon as I see the bloody mess of his hand. "Why'd you do that?! Look at your h—"

"So you're saying I was supposed to watch?"

I've never seen him look this angry before. The tone of his voice makes me lose all words, and I stand there with my mouth slightly open as he drags a heavy hand down his face.

"I'm sorry." He says stiffly, eyes opening. "I didn't mean to surprise you."

My voice comes out soft.

"I'm fine, Jimin."

"That isn't fine." His words are suddenly edged again, and he pulls his sleeve over his hurt hand. "Don't try to tell me otherwise."

Then I see the look in his darkened silver eyes, and my entire body grows cold when I remember back to the chain marks on his wrists, the circle on his neck.

Jimin....

"Let me see your hand." I say a bit more firmly, and he hesitates before finally lifting his sleeve up. It's already stained with red, and I grip his wrist in two fingers, swallowing at the damage.

Guilt.

"Doesn't it hurt?" I whisper as I touch the sleeve of my jacket to the cut, pressing gently until the bleeding stops.

He always seemed to get hurt, even when I tried to protect him.

"This isn't anything." He says, and the bitter tone of his voice is what shakes me the most. My fingers brush against the scar carved into his wrist.

Slave mark.

I look down on the ground, feeling his stare on me. He'd been touched when he was enslaved, hadn't he? That's why he'd acted so furiously.

He had been.

My fingers unconsciously tighten around his hand, making him flinch. I quickly take my hands away in surprise, murmuring sorry as I focus again.

By the time I'm done, I'm surprised to see his eyes closed. He's resting his back against a tree, and I realize he's dozed off.

I graze my fingers lightly through his hair. His marks are clearer now, and seeing them just makes me want to protect him.

I wouldn't let him get hurt again.

_________________________

"Name?"

"Park Jimin."

Then his eyes flicker to me next to him, and I put on a casual expression. I'm trying so hard not to laugh when I wrap my arm around Jimin's slender waist, leaning my head against his side.