Twenty-Three

The air seems too thin as the two women stand face-to-face. Caitlin tightens her grip on the door while her mouth remains slightly open. Iris grips her purse straps, biting her lip, and swaying back and forth - shifting her weight from one foot to the other, nervously. They are not too sure how long they stood there in silence, processing the presence of the other. It is Iris who finds the strength to speak first.

"Hi Caitlin," she whispers out, stuttering her words as she places a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

As Caitlin opens her mouth to speak, Barry's voice booms through her ears. "Alright babe, am I kissable now?" he smirks as he rounds the corner to come into view. His mood instantly changes seeing Iris in the doorway. "What the hell are you doing here?" he growls as his jaw clenches and he charges to Caitlin's side.

"I-"

"I invited her," Caitlin blurts out, stopping Barry in his tracks. She watches as the anger in his eyes quickly turn into confusion with a hint of hurt.

"Wha-" he blinks trying to register her words. "Why would you do that Cait?" the hurt clear in his words and his facial expressions. "Cait-"

She raises her hand to stop him, licking her lips then turns back to Iris. "Would you please come in?"

Iris slowly nods her head before stepping inside the house. She feels Barry's hated glare as she stands next to Caitlin that forces her to look at the ground. "Listen, Barry, I only came over because Caitlin asked."

Barry crosses his arms in doubt then looks over at his wife, who nods in agreement. "Caitlin, why is she here?"

She gives him a look, arching her eyebrow, trying to get him to read her mind but no avail. She rolls her eyes and gives her attention to Iris. "Why don't you make yourself at home and I'll be right there to talk," she explains giving a genuine smile.

Iris gives a faint smile with a nod before heading to the living room - disappearing from view.

Barry lets out an angry sigh as Iris passes by, watching her, then turns his attention back to Caitlin. His features soften as his voice cracks, "Cait, baby, why is she here?" He asks stepping forward taking her hands into his, giving them a light squeeze. "Why would you invite her over, after everything..."

"That's why I invited her," she explains squeezing back with a half-smile. Barry's face scrunches in confusion and she lets out a light giggle. She releases a hand from his grasp to caress his face, looking into his eyes lovingly. A light sigh escapes her lips, as her thumb continues to caress his cheek, "I have a heart filled with forgiveness, remember?"

His expression softens as a smile creeps on his lips. He leans into her touch as he wraps his arms around her waist, pulling her closer. "I love you," he whispers then leans forward, attaching his lips on hers.

She smiles into the kiss as she deepens it before pulling away. "I love you," she whispers back, keeping him close.

He lightly chuckles as he sees her bite her bottom lip, looking up at him, and gives her a peck. "You didn't have to do this, you know?"

Caitlin nods her head, looking away debating with her thoughts. She licks her lips, turning back to him. "I know, but I have to. She can't move on if I don't," she pushes with a faint smile. "I can't move on if I don't," she adds.

His grip loosens around her waist at her words but then quickly pulls her into his chest, holding her tight, without hurting the baby. "Cait, you did nothing wrong. You hear me?" He kisses her hair then pulls away, cupping her cheeks. "You," he breathes, "did nothing, and I repeat nothing wrong."