• alone •

Hinata POV
When I woke up, it wasn't vibrations that interrupt my sleep like they normally do.

Since I can't hear an alarm vibrations are all I've got.

My eyes were heavy as I tried to open them. They felt hot and groggy, as did the rest of my body.

When I finally managed to get them open, I could barely make out a figure of a person.

It was my mum.

For the first time in a long time, she actually signs something to me.

'Oh good, you're up'

I feel my eyes widen when I see her do it.
I go to sign something back, but she holds my hands and shakes her head.

Her hands are cold and wet.

She takes them away and I can see her putting a wet cloth on my forehead.

I gently tilt my head over to see where I am.
I'm still in my room; I can tell by the size and the smell. The clock reads 11:21

My mum goes to leave when I grab the bottom of her shirt

I sign to her;

'What's happening?'

She smiles at me sadly, not saying a word.

'Is someone sick?' I suggest, signing, when she doesn't give me an answer.

'Yeah...' she mouths back sadly.

'Am I sick?'

'Yeah, your sick' she signs 'Now go to sleep'

Sick, huh?
That seems about right.

I was feeling like shit when I fell asleep yesterday, but I never imagined I'd wake up feeling as bad as this.

My head was spinning and my thoughts were jumbled.

Maybe that's from my fever or maybe I'm just confused.

She leaves the room and closes the door behind her.

My heavy eyes shut as soon as the room is completely dark.

Kageyama POV
Hinata didn't show up at the park that we normally meet up at the next day.

Not that I expected him to, but I at least thought he would be a little interested in seeing me.

I forgot what it's like to walk to school alone.

Sure, I was used to the quietness, but the lack of company was what really bothered me.

I found it strange, considering for the past three years all I've ever been was alone.
All I ever was was alone.

It wasn't a sad feeling, just an uncomfortable one.

Hinata made me feel comfortable.

I sighed and continued walking, trying to ignore the awkwardness I was feeling.

When I walked into the gym, almost everyone was already there, individually practicing.

"There you are! Where have you two-"

Daichi stops mid sentence and looks at me and then around me.

"Where's Hinata?" he asks.

"I...Isnt he already here?"

He shakes his head and my stomach drops.

"Go get changed" he says finally.

He wouldn't go as far as to not come to school to avoid me, would he?
Then again, the face me made was enough to scare me...

I couldn't help but wonder if that one simple mistake just cost me a whole friendship.

Hinata POV
I fell in and out of feverish sleeps for the rest of the day.

Each time I woke up, a different wash cloth was on my forehead and I always looked at the time.

11:21
1:35
3:42

It's 6:34 now.

This isn't the first time I've had a fever.
Last time I did was in middle school.

I kept insisting on getting up, and even snuck out of the house to meet Koji and Izumi.
I couldn't just lay there, I had to do something.

Of course, back then I had people to look forward to seeing.
Now I'm alone again.

I had no strength to help me move an inch, let alone get up anyways.
To my right is my phone, just in my reach.

I groan as I put my arm out to grab it.

I've gotten messages from a lot of the team and the other friends that I've managed to make at the short time I was in Karasuno.

Just as I go to turn my phone off, another notification pops up.

I had turned my phone off before I could see who sent it, since the white light was hurting my eyes.

I decided then and there not to tell anyone I was sick, since I didn't want them to worry and also because I didn't think it was such a big deal.

Eventually, I fell back asleep,

Heavy.
Uncomfortable.
and alone.

Kageyama POV
It was around 6:30 when I finally got the guts to message him.

All I said was, hey, but it's more than I've said to him the past two days so it was better than nothing.

He didn't respond.

I didn't think that was weird until I heard the next day that he didn't respond to the team either.

Day two without Hinata was even stranger than the first.

It wasn't quiet, but it definitely wasn't as energetic as it usually was.

I thought so many times to drop by his house, but if he really was avoiding everyone because of me, what was I supposed to do?

When I got back home, I saw that he'd actually messaged me back.

I dropped everything and looked at it.

HINATA: Hey! Sorry I haven't been responding, something came up.

KAGEYAMA: Nah, don't worry about it. Do you think I can come see you tomorrow, I need to talk to you.

HINATA: I know. Just come over after school, ok

KAGEYAMA: Ok...

...