:Part 2:

rain poured from the sky, but despite the instinct to stay out of the cold, i ran into it.

i ran and ran until my legs ached and my lungs burned and i couldn't run anymore, so i fell. i fell onto my knees on the side of the road in the pouring rain, with tears now streaming down my face.

then suddenly the rain wasn't hitting me anymore, but the pitter-patter of the drops remained. and in my weakest moment, the least likely person showed up. you.

you stood above me, a dark gray umbrella held near your shoulder to protect us both from the spring weather. automatically, i hid my red tearstained face from you, hoping you hadn't noticed the sadness in my eyes or the uneven inhales of air.

"why are you crying?"

there it was again, your voice. it sounded muffled from the harsh beat of the rain, but still i heard.

"why does it matter to you."

i could feel your eyes staring at my weak, broken form for a moment too long. i finally gave up, looking into your eyes just as you stared back at mine. Once again the moment seemed to pause as i was stuck in your gaze. i snapped back into reality as you broke eye contact with me, slightly shrugging your shoulder. i noticed the slight shake of your head as you took one last glance at me.

and then you were gone, leaving me to cry in the rain.