Chapter 03

Dr. Wang was late for the meeting that morning thanks to the bad weather and him spacing out in the cafe for an hour after Lawyer Zhoucheng left him there..

He quickly excused himself and sat in the front row where the doctors who are in the similar rank as him was sitting down, who just happened to be the Department Head Doctors..

Dr. Wang is the current Department Head Doctor of the Neurosurgery Department and as a high ranked doctor, he has the privilege of meddling with a lot of decisions taken by the hospital's director board..

After a few minutes,the director of the hospital, Prof.Huang came to the hall followed by the current chief of the hospital, Prof.Liu..

After the mysterious death of the former director Mr. Shin, the next in line was Prof. Huang.. At the same time, Prof. Wu resigned from his post and left the country due to personal reasons so naturally, Prof. Huang's left hand person aka Prof. Liu took over his senior and became the Chief of the hospital..

When Prof. Liu started the assembly with his speech, Dr. Suyin quickly slid next to Dr. Wang's seat, being the now Department Head of the pediatric department giving her the chance to do so..

He greeted her with a warm smile and informed her about his son's visit later that day.. When the director started his speech, both of them diverted their attention to the old man..

Prof. Huang's speeches were boring just like in the past and Dr. Wang hated him.. Not because his speeches were boring but because he didn't have any valid reasons to keep hating on him..

"..... As you all know, our Beijing General Hospital was placed as the Number one hospital in Asia by The Global Medical Association this year.. All I can say is that I'm proud.. It's not only me who worked hard on getting that title, you guys did the most of it.. The medical staff of our hospital can't be compared to any other hospitals out there.. And I'm proud of it.. I'm proud to have such a hardworking medical staff who are always ready to sacrifice their everything in order to save a life out there.. For that and for everything, I am thanking you all from the bottom of my heart.."

That was the exact reason.. Dr. Wang sighed internally before standing up with the other doctors in order to give a halfhearted bow at the chief who's already making a deep bow at them due to gratitude..

Dr. Wang can't hate him because the man has been too good for the past few years.. He has always hated that man, knew that whatever that happened in his father's life, whatever that happened in his life in the past are somehow linked towards him yet he didn't find any excusable reasons to despise him..

".. I'm glad that we managed to save a lot of lives and live up to the name as the top hospital in Asia.. I hope to develop this hospital in to a more advanced one in order to have an efficient system of life saving in here.."

Ever since Prof. Huang became the Director of the hospital, he has been taking the lead of making the hospital in to a better place.. Dr. Wang had to admit that his plans and visions regarding the hospital were amazing and he was more surprised when the man tried to lecture them about what a good doctor is.. Dr. Wang would begrudgingly agree that the Beijing General Hospital has been on its best condition ever since Prof. Huang took over the whole hospital system..

"...In order to introduce a more advanced and efficient life system, we need to have more medical staff in here.. That's why this year we have accepted over 1000 medical interns to be lectured here.. Somehow, I was alerted about a problem that the doctors are far too busy with their work to train the interns.. Dr. Suyin, I think you got three substitute pediatric doctors as lecturers in the pediatric department?"

Dr. Liu Suyin quickly stood up and answered the man with the best smile she can afford..

"Yes sir.. We are really grateful to have a backup like that when the pediatric department is so busy these days.. Thank you.."

Prof. Huang just smiled and continued his speech while Dr. Suyin sat down and leaned to her right side to talk to Dr. Wang..

"You should also ask for a backup.. The neurosurgery department is the most hectic aside from the ER.. You can't handle it along.."

Dr. Wang was about to respond when he heard his name being called through the speaker.. He saw how Prof. Huang was already looking at him with an expression that was quite hard to explain..

"Dr.Wang? As the Department Head of the Neurosurgery department which happens to be one of most busiest section in our hospital, I heard that you are also having a hard time in training the interns in between your work. So I thought that it would be nice to bring some substitute doctors for your department too.. But it was quite hard to catch neurosurgeons as there aren't many out there.. But I did met an old friend and he agreed to take up on the job for the old time's sake.. Hope that you'll like the new lecturer.. He'll be here soon.."

Dr. Wang felt quite relieved that he won't be having to train the hopeless newbies out there when he could be saving 10 lives with the time that it takes him to make them understand the basics of stitching a cut in the head..

He heard the hall door opens and didn't dare to turn around and see the intruder as he wasn't interested in it at all, but the shocked gasps and screams with all the fussings around him made him curious as both him and Dr. Suyin looked to their back to see who made the crowd go crazy..

Dr. Wang couldn't quite catch the figure as most of the doctors have now stood up from their seats in the back and it really made him almost stand up from curiosity but it didn't take him that long to actually spring up from where he was sitting down..

When that figure appeared and stood up in front of everyone, Dr. Wang felt almost dizzy.. Next to him Dr. Suyin also stood up from her seat and she held on to his arm on the process as she almost collapsed back down...

Dr. Wang has imagined hundreds of scenarios that was similar to what he is experiencing now.. None of them could be compared to what he was feeling now as he was witnessing the same man he has dreamt thousands of times in his sleep..

It was the same man who was once his enemy, his best friend and his soulmate.. There wasn't a single change on his appearance except for one thing.. His gaze that swept through the hall didn't look like the same gentle and kind gaze that he had before.. His eyes looked almost empty and hollow..

When those exact eyes stopped on him, Dr. Wang felt his knees go weak.. He wanted to run.. He didn't know if it was towards that person or outside the hall.. But right now all he could do was stare right back at those eyes that are staring at him in return.. He felt everything fall into a silence around them, probably from the tension of what's going to happen next..

They kept staring at each other and Dr. Wang could swear that he saw those eyes were telling him a tale that only he could understand.. But then everything was broken and those eyes returned back to its empty and cold gaze when Prof. Huang spoke through his microphone, promptly breaking the silence..

"So, I know that all of you have a lot of questions but it's not my place to answer them.. All I could say is that he's back after having a rest for few years.. So, welcome back Dr. Xiao Zhan.. He will be the new substitute-"

Everything happened in a flash and Prof. Huang couldn't finish his words when Dr. Wang strode to the front with wide angry steps..

Everyone were silent when Dr. Wang was face to face with Dr. Xiao and they watched as the both ex enemies stares right into each other's eyes for a few seconds..

The next moment,everyone exclaimed in surprise when Dr. Wang grabbed Dr. Xiao's hand and pulled him through the hall to the outside and all they could hear was the loud bang of the hall door as it closed behind the two doctors..

...................................................................

                  (To be continued)