one

01 | a rush back to reality

"OH STARS. WHAT THE HELL-"

RESISTANCE BASE, ILLENIUM SYSTEM-

"Are you sure that you don't want to come with us?"

Kyra turned around to see Rey in front of her, dressed in an outfit that was new- one that Kyra knew well. She had transitioned from the dirty outfit that the young scavenger girl wore to more dignified grey clothes, the woman's hair tied up in a nice and neat knot. There was a soft look of worry molded into Rey's face, the bag slung over her shoulder filled with the essentials. "You know, it would probably help if you came with us- Han's kind of slunken off in sadness now that he knows you're not coming along."

This memory was ingrained into her brain, just as vivid as the day she had left.

The day had been bright and sunny, skies clear and bright blue. Everyone at the time had supposed that it was a good omen, an indication of all of the good things that would come for the Resistance now that they were going to be tracking down Luke Skywalker.

Resistance members had come by earlier to see the ship off, with the likes of Poe, Finn, and Fox dropping by quickly to say their goodbyes to Han, Chewie, and Rey. Kyra had avoided the confrontation for as long as possible, until Han had actually come to where she had been cooped up inside of her and Poe's quarters, dragging her outside to say goodbye.

A chuckle escaped Kyra's mouth, the woman smiling as she looked up at where Rey stood on the Falcon's ramp, shaking her head. "I already said goodbye to him like ten minutes ago." She shook her head, the memory of the tightest hug that she could give the man coming to mind, the whispers of advice and what she could consider love that the father figure gave her stuck in her mind.

"I told him he can still communicate with us. You're going on a quick trip. It's not like I won't be here when you two get back." She watched as Rey chuckled, the young woman sighing as she realized that she wouldn't change Kyra's mind. "And besides, maybe me, you know, staying, will give him a better motive to return. I don't exactly want to spring it on him that I'm his- you know- daughter."

There was a pause as the two women stared at each other, both understanding what the other had to do. The light breeze from the base weaved through the space in between the duo, rustling their clothes and their emotions ever so softly, only making the situation all the more uncomfortable. Kyra cleared her throat to ease the awkwardness, reaching into her belt to grab the one thing that she knew that Rey would need most.

"Here." Kyra held out her hand, extending it as Rey walked down to grab the object. It was Luke's lightsaber, and Rey seemed shocked that she was giving it up so quickly. She could see the hesitation in Rey's eyes, so she thrust it into her hand. "I can see the look in your eyes Rey. Take it. Use it. You probably can way better than I could ever, if the stories are proven right. Train under him. Become a Jedi. Then we can defeat whatever the First Order has in store for us."