Chapter Six: Coffee Makes The World Go Round

The next month flew past.

Charlotte and Steve had developed a routine over the past month- they'd wake up, do breakfast and coffee together and walk to the pharmacy Steve worked at. Sometimes Bucky would join them, but most of the time he was busy and occasionally wouldn't come home for days. Steve said that they were getting ready to ship out, which caused a knot to form in the pit of Charlotte's stomach.

Each morning, Charlotte would go the rest of the way to Stark Industries, earning a few strange looks from her work attire- pants, a blouse and heels. She knew it was unconventional- as most of the women at Stark Industries wore skirts of dresses- but it was the only wardrobe adjustment that would allow her to do the work she did effectively.

The fourteenth of May brought people to the lab, ones that caused a whole lot of fuss and bother.

Howard had given Charlotte her corner of the Research and Development lab. There was a specific reason for this- if Howard wasn't blowing something up, he was busy covering something in paint or oil. The pair honestly worked well together, but Charlotte couldn't deal with the constant mess and so Howard had relented and given her a quiet, explosion-free place to work.

It also had a secondary purpose. Team-wise Howard was the only one in the research and development lab who would wholeheartedly listen to what she had to say. Despite her position as the Head Technician, the members of the lab rarely-if ever- listened to her. Some did, but they were few and far between. He had been using her availability on the floor to force the team to talk to her. She could admit it was sneaky, but it was also starting to work.

She was currently soldering together some wiring for Howard's prototype engine for the expo while drinking coffee with the other hand. She heard Howard's voice and the overall commotion in the lab but didn't move until she heard Howard next to her corner.

"We will need to include my Head Technician on the matter," he said loudly, before striding into Charlotte's workspace.

"Well then get him," a harsh voice- the voice of somebody who did not have a lot of time or patience- barked out.

Charlotte looked up at that, still sipping on the coffee. "What's wrong, Howard?" she asked quietly, seeing the worried expression on the scientist's face.

"There are some people who wish to talk to us," he said, motioning for her to come with him. "And yes, we can stop for coffee on the way to my office."

She grinned as she stood, swiping her mug up. "Have I told you that you're the best boss ever?"

He gave her a smile in return, exiting the large workspace with Charlotte in tow.

Two people stood waiting for them- a man and a woman.

The man was the closest thing to a human representation of stainless steel- strong and impervious to a very high level of heat. His hair- greying at the temples- was buzzed back in the traditional army haircut. His neatly pressed uniform hadn't rumpled on the way to talk to her, and his name and rank were on the glittering gold badge that she had instantly narrowed in on- Colonel Phillips. Straight, defined creases framed the edge of his piercing black eyes as they stared at Charlotte. Everything about the man was hard and unyielding.

"Colonel Phillips, this is my Head Technician- Charlotte Red."

Phillips let out a derisive snort. "This is a woman."

Charlotte tilted her head at him as she stretched her hand out to offer a handshake. "You're observant, aren't you Colonel?"

The woman let out a small snort as Phillips turned to glare at her while shaking Charlotte's hand reluctantly.