Chapter Ten: Her Unapologetic Self

"It's packed," Connie stated, looking at Bucky as the group began elbowing their way through hordes of people at the gates into the World Expo. Charlotte had got them in ahead of the line with her Stark Industries identification, but they had still needed to wait a minute to be allowed in while they verified it. It was better that the potential hour that they might have been required to wait.

Bonnie nodded, turning away from Steve to look at Bucky instead. Charlotte noticed the sad expression on Steve's face, and felt something in her chest clench.

Charlotte took a moment to look around, having spent most of her prior Sunday to help Howard with the set up. It had been bare bones then, but in the dark with the lights and rides, the sound of music mingling with the scent of food from the nearby stands and the hubbub of the crowd, it felt otherworldly. And in the centre of the park, the Stark Industries section shone, lit up like a beacon.

"Do you have a date?" Connie asked Charlotte suddenly, jarring the girl out of her thoughts.

Charlotte shook her head. "No, why do you ask?"

Bonnie smirked, pointing at the group of young men in uniform standing near the gate, eyeing Charlotte off appreciatively. "Because you seem to be drawing a lot of attention."

Steve thought he heard her mutter something about Howard Stark and torture methods under her breath as he and the group went to inspect a nearby stall. Charlotte was still looking around, taking in the atmosphere, trying to ignore the knots forming in her stomach.

"Damn Red, I didn't know you could dress like a woman," Turner said, sidling up beside her.

"Damn Turner, I didn't know that even in a suit you would still look like a monkey," Charlotte replied tersely.

Turner chuckled, but his expression was serious. "I heard about what the Head of Design said to you. That was out of line."

"Well, it's no different to what I'm used to hearing," she replied bluntly, seeing the shocked expression on his face. "What, you think I don't hear what they say about me? That I slept with the boss of the company to get my job? That he only let me stay because I'm a pretty face?"

"Red, I'm sorry. We all know that you passed the test- it was handed around the other week by the secretary. And you're a good manager- this wouldn't have happened if you weren't." He gestured to the scene around them.

Charlotte felt touched that Belinda had stuck up for her by doing that. And even more touched that a member of her team was on her side for once.

"Anyway, don't you have a presentation to be getting to?" he asked, seeing her smile.

"Yes, I suppose so. Hang on one second."

She walked over to where Steve, Bucky and their dates were standing by the Edison booth, and tapped Steve on the shoulder.

"I'm going to head up to do some last minute checks with Howard."

Steve smiled. "Okay. You'll be able to get in?"

Charlotte jerked her thumb back toward a sheepish-looking man in a suit, who was watching the conversation with some degree of interest. "Turner has volunteered himself to make sure I get there intact. You'll be there, right?"

He heard the hint of nervousness in her voice, and smiled, running his hand over her shoulder lightly- a small bit of contact to reassure her. "Yes, Charlotte. We wouldn't miss it for the world."

"It starts at seven, right?" Bucky asked, seeing Charlotte nod.

"Red!" Turner called, tapping his watch impatiently.