Chapter Eleven: Saying Goodbye

The crowd whooped and cheered as both Howard and Charlotte gave short bows, the curtains around the stage drawing closed.

The moment they were out of sight, Charlotte rushed over to the car.

"I don't understand," she said to Howard as she knelt and analysed the damage. "It worked just fine in all of our test runs." She began inspecting the undercarriage for any imperfections.

And there was an imperfection. A glaring one.

"There's a missing panel."

She knew it was supposed to be there, it was the one she had screwed and welded onto the car before it was sent off to Design.

"That prick," she gritted out, seeing Howard frown.

"Who?"

"The Head of Design. The panel that is missing- it was the last thing I placed on the car. It's been removed, and the electronics have been messed around with. Everything was working fine before it was sent off to Design, but the paint marks show that the paint was applied after the panel was removed."

Howard's expression was thunderous.

"So you're telling me that one of my workers sabotaged my prototype?" Howard hissed. "Why?"

Charlotte looked up at him, tears in her eyes. "Because they all think I slept with you to get my job," she said quietly. "I'm sorry Howard, I didn't think working with you was going to cause this much of a problem."

Howard let out a harsh laugh. "You have nothing to be sorry about." He looked up, seeing the group of Stark Industries employees who had gathered by the side of the stage. Spotting exactly who he was looking for, Howard straightened and made a beeline for Julian Whitman.

"Whitman!" he barked, seeing the man baulk.

"Mr Stark?" Whitman gulped.

"Did you have anything to do with the change in my prototype, or at least know the causation of the error?"

"No, Mr Stark. I assumed it was an error on the Head Technician's part." Whitman said it smugly, and matter-of-fact.

"You're fired," Howard hissed, Whitman's eyes widening, as he looked between Charlotte and Howard.

"I hope you're pleased with yourself," he growled at Charlotte, who shook her head.

"Not at all, Mr Whitman. I was hoping that you would just do your job, but you have jeopardised the integrity of Stark Industries by dishing out some form of revenge," Howard answered. "Leave my sight before I have you escorted from the premises."

Whitman looked at the remaining employees- as if trying to find some support from them- but they each shook their heads, and he stalked away.

"And as for the rest of you," Howard continued. "You all need to put aside this petty bullshit. Charlotte qualified for her position, and I hired her. I would be stupid not to and I would kick myself if I let her go work for another company- the woman has brains."

Charlotte smiled at the praise.

"So on Wednesday, which will be the first day back for all of you, we will act civilly toward each other. Am I understood?"

"Yes sir," the group chorused. Howard smiled.

"Good, now all of you go have fun. I'll see you on Wednesday."

The crowd dispersed, and Charlotte gave Howard a weary grin. "I think that went quite well, all things considered. I'm going to go and see Steve and Bucky before I head off to the Creator section, did you need anything before I go?"