your first confession

You gave a long sigh as you rubbed one of your temples with your index and middle finger. You felt a headache start as new thoughts rise from the back of your mind, but if you were completely honest with yourself, you had a slight migraine since a week ago. You had to constantly remind yourself to focus at the context in front of you. You were in the library to study, not to get distracted from your thoughts, but you couldn't help yourself as it was the only safe haven in school at the moment. What used to be a comfortable time with your friends was the reason why you're sitting alone at a study table. Can you even call them friends anymore with the way they treated you? Was it too soon to let your guard down?

A week; it's been a week since you last talked to Danny, Sam, and Tucker. They were avoiding you completely. Not even Tucker was looking at you in the eyes. Somehow and someway, after the ghost fight with the Lunch Lady, Sam and Tucker slipped from your sight while trying to hide away from the fight and you can't help but think some help from the teenage ghost was the reason that they got away. Danny was also no where to be seen afterwards. The next school day was when you saw them again but they ducked into the crowded hallway before you could even call out to them. The only way you could see them was during class but even then, passing notes would be a good way to receive total embarrassment and a lecture from the teacher at the least.

You decided to give up around Tuesday when you've been brushed off one too many times in your opinion. You decided being alone was better after all, but that didn't stop the populars to make their move on you. Once they saw what was happening, the preps didn't hesitate to attempt wooing you over and join in on their bullying. Being tempted was the most you could do with them. Brushing off the immoral act, you would mostly reply with "I'm not interested" or "Don't you have something better to do than bug me?"

No matter the person, you couldn't stand bullying. You shook your head from any bad thoughts of even attempting such acts. Yeah, they kicked you out of the group, but it's not their fault they didn't like you. You furrowed your eyebrows at such insecure thoughts. Who are you kidding? You have no clue what's going on and the fact that you tried to even think about any scenarios that might have happened drives you insane.

You sighed out of frustration as you laid your chin on your opened hand. Your eyes shifted to the unwritten paper where your hand was holding a pencil. Damn Lancer was brutal even at the beginning of the year with an informative essay assigned to all individuals in class. He assigned you an autobiography essay about an author you weren't too familiar with, so your nose hits the books immediately. The focus was potentially there but it flew out the window when you were alone with your thoughts. You settled with just creating a diagram of what the essay should look like.

There was some rustling coming from your side as a backpack was settled on the table where you were working at. Your eyes traveled up the arm to Danny's bright blue eyes. He smiled almost apologetically in greeting. Your low side pony tail helped you cover your face from the disappointment it showed as you looked back at your textbook.

"This table is taken," you said coldly.

He stuttered, "Ah...I know. I was just hoping I could join you because—well—all the other seats are...taken."

You took a glance at him before scanning the quiet room. No one was in sight. It was just you and him. You raised your eyebrow when you met his eyes again.

He scratched the back of his head and sighed, "That was really stupid to say, I know."

"Probably wouldn't be the last time," you mentally kicked yourself for being rude, but you couldn't help yourself. Your emotions were getting the best of you; they were coming out all at once.

"Wow," he chuckled, "Sam is rubbing off on you."

"Funny," you laughed sarcastically, "considering I haven't got the chance to talk to her all week." You cringed again. This wasn't like you; what's wrong with yourself? Has questioning everything for the past week made you this upset? You admit you were mentally exhausted, but that was no excuse for your attitude. You visibly shook your head and started packing up your stuff in your book bag to leave. "What am I saying? It's none of my business if you guys want nothing to do with me."

Danny's cyan eyes flashed with panic and confusion from the sudden mood change. He asked, "What are you doing?"

"Leaving," you answered honestly, "I need some fresh air and to think—no. I need to stop thinking."

Any outsider could tell the dishevelment and indecisive mental state of mind you were in from just looking at you. Instead of putting everything in your bag, at the last second, you combined everything into a manageable pile and scooped it into your less dominant arm while standing up. Danny's head movements followed your whole body as it jerked to a stance. For a spilt second, you wondered how Danny saw you that instant. You shook the thought away as they wanted nothing to do with you anyways. You spun on your heel quickly to avoid another second with him.

The chair underneath Danny knocked against the table roughly from him standing up abruptly following you. You only managed to take the second wide step before your arm was gently grabbed. Your head jerked towards Danny with slight wide eyes.

"Wait, don't go," he exclaimed, "I can explain." He waited to continue when he saw he had you attention and the tension in your muscles diminished. "I can tell this has been bothering you, a-and you deserve some explanation."

You did deserve some explanation.

It was the least they could do, right? At least, this way you could get some closure and a piece of mind. You wouldn't even care if it was so ridiculous. You would want to at least talk then go your separate ways.

Something nagged at you in the back of your mind and you were dying to know.

"Ask anything you want to know," he said confidently.

"Why are you guys ignoring me?" you asked instantly.

He seemed prepared to be asked these sort of questions as he answered, "You said you wanted to talk to us, so we assumed you didn't want to be friends anymore."

That was BS, and you knew it.

They did the complete opposite.

"Fine," you huffed as you rolled your eyes, "I tried playing nice, but if you are just going to lie, I'm wasting my breath." You waved him off as you realized he still had a hold on your arm.

"Wait! Is that not what you mean?"

You cocked out your hip and placed your free hand on it. "Danny, stop. If it's one thing I learned from the past couple of weeks being with you is that you're a horrible liar. And your lies get more tiring as I hear more of them."

"Fine! You want to hear the truth?" his anger showed slightly from his defensive state.

Your anger reflected his as you said, "I've been brushed off and given the cold shoulder while all of this is driving me crazy. I think I deserve the truth."

"I like you, okay!"

Word Count: 1292

Status: UNEDITED