CHAPTER 5

Thursday

Getting a copy of the codes was easier than he thought but the stress of the act left him with a pain in his chest and a sick stomach. Even carrying the disk around was like having a hot coal in his pocket. He transferred it to his briefcase and closed up his lab office early for the weekend. Fridays were optional days in the tech department because the overtime hours more than made up for the required work week and Milo was taking a long weekend.

Things had moved much further than he had imagined and into territory he was not pleased to enter. The affair with Gloria had been a stroke of fantasy luck... he thought, but now he was involved far more than he cared to be. Now not only was the affair doomed but possibly, so was his career. He turned off the lights and left the building.

What he was going to say to the private detective worried its way through his mind, what kind of offer to make. He had to get his complicity on record. He took out the phone number Cutter had given him and dialed.

"Cutter Investigations."

"It's me." Milo didn't want to give his name over the phone.

"Is it now, and just who might, me, be?"

"You gave me this number and asked to meet."

"Oh yes! Great to hear from you. So you have some news for me?"

"Not over the phone. I'm at the Addison. Ask for me at the desk."

"I'll be there by noon." Derrick hung up and punched the air with a grin.

The Addison Hotel was only about ten minutes from his office so he had ample time to do a reconnoitering of the place. Derrick didn't want any surprises at his meeting. He slipped on his coat and hurried out of the office, walking instead of driving, to the hotel. The young woman he'd spoken to on other occasions was working the front desk and he decided to use that familiarity to pump her about the hotel's guests.

"Della, my darlin', how are we this fine spring day?"

The woman looked up from her keyboard and smiled.

"Mister Cutter, I'm fine and yourself?"

"Derrick, please. You make me feel like a stranger." Her smile held but didn't increase. "Della, I'm coming here at noon for a meeting that a, Mister French is taking with three other men. I'm working security for the meeting... it's very hush, hush. I know the hotel has its own security but this is that important they have hired me personally. What I need to know is if any other guests have checked in today or tomorrow for short stays."

"I'm not supposed to give out that information, Mister Cutter."

"Derrick, Della. Derrick. Look, I don't wish to be crass or suggest that you are a person who can be bought, but this is an extremely important meeting and ditto for me... it could lead to a lot more work. I can offer you a little financial incentive, Della, if it wouldn't offend."

He saw the shift of interest behind her eyes and he smiled inwardly, waiting for her to cave.

"Uhmn- like what kind of incentive are you talking about?"

"Say a hundred..." He saw the start of disappointment and quickly added a dinner at her favourite restaurant.

Her fingers flew over the keys and she pursed her lips. "Six-oh-nine is Mister French's room... there's a man and a woman on the next floor that are in for three nights."

"That jibes with my file." He lied.

Her look said she was sold on his fabrications.

"There's another man coming in tomorrow but it's for a week."