CHAPTER 26

A stab of worry felt like a real injury when she realized he hadn't called. Then neither had she. This was the very reason she avoided these situations. She selected the one message that puzzled her and dialed the number.

"Derrick Cutter."

"You called my office earlier this morning, Mr. Cutter? Brighton Investigations."

"Aah, yes. Is this Jarlayne Brighton?"

"What was your purpose in calling, Mr. Cutter?"

"It's Cutter Personal Surveys. I'm also a private investigator. I called to ask about a client of yours, a Mr. Milo French?"

"We have no such client, Mr. Cutter."

"Ex client."

"Ask what exactly, Mr. Cutter?"

"I only wanted to ask if you were aware that Milo French was having an affair with his employer's wife."

"Discussing clients outside of business is not something I subscribe to, Mr. Cutter."

"Understood. Understood. The code." He chuckled and Jarlayne heard tiny alarm bells.

"Is there anything else you wanted to say?"

"So, were you aware?"

"That's it. Not nice talking to you Mr. Cutter. Good day."

"Or that he was passing Enland's corporate secrets to Grover Metcalf!"

This last was shouted desperately before she could hang up. She rapped her knuckles on the desk and pulled back her upper lip.

"If you have something you're trying to tell me, please just do so, otherwise I have a lot of work to do."

"I just did."

Jarlayne considered reminding him she was no longer representing Milo but the fact that this detective seemed to know what she and Hood had only theorized piqued her interest.

"You do realize that the news of the divorce has already been in the papers."

"Yeah uuh, well... but the code business wasn't."

"Who are you working for, Mr. Cutter?"

"Ah... now I have to invoke the code." There was a patronizing chuckle. "Could we meet? Neutral ground. Short chat. Maybe scratch backs?"

"Why? I told you I don't—"

"Just a cup of coffee?" He interrupted.

She cursed her curiosity and spent a few seconds debating with herself.

"Where?"

The sigh was almost tangible. "Hound's Room at the Addison?"

"Thirty minutes, Mr. Cutter. Thirty minutes to meet as well."

"Deal, and thank you."

She hung up and frowned at the message. The Addison; was that significant? What did Derrick Cutter have to do with Grover and Milo? Or was it Gloria and Grover? Or Victor and...? She hissed her annoyance, gathered her things again, and marched into reception.

"I'll be back in less than an hour."

Jill let her know with a nasty pout, that not being kept in the loop was unacceptable, and it stayed in place until Jarlayne closed the office door behind her.

********

Hood ignored the snide teasing about the nicks and scratches on his face. His initial explanation of a messy shave was greeted with derision and hoots of raunchy alternatives. Best defense in this case was surrender and he did, shutting them out and concentrating on his case notes.