CHAPTER 20

Jarlayne looked down at the forlorn little man and listened to his groaning.

"And this detective never found out about your little conspiracy?"

Milo finally broke down, telling her all about the attempted blackmail and how he made a recording to use against the threat. He omitted the part about Derrick going to Gloria and all the events that occurred afterwards.

"What possessed you to hire a lawyer?" It was obvious why this detective never passed on the information; the smell of greed was overpowering.

"Because it was wrong! It wasn't my fault. She's the one that started it and it was all her idea. And now the prick won't let go."

Jarlayne sniffed back a chuckle. She started it? The schoolyard syndrome.

"So Enland never mentioned anything about the codes or why you were fired?"

"He never said anything except to have me tossed out of the building!" Milo sniffed. "But it must have been the affair."

Jarlayne agreed silently. "What about Gloria?"

"I got an earful when I told her. She just Roman candled right off the bat."

"What did she say?"

"I was to dump the lawyer... and fast. She told me I was a stupid idiot. She said it would expose my- our deviation." His cheeks flamed again.

"Do you believe that? I mean, her husband must have some idea of her predilections don't you think?"

"I don't know. I suppose. But why else would she be concerned?"

"Did it occur to you that she might be worried about what you gave to Grover and that it could possibly lead back to her, Milo, did you ever think of that?"

He stared at her and then at the ground between his feet. Jarlayne stared off across the lawn and absently watched couples and other visitors to the Tea House grounds. The sun dappled the damp ground through the leaves of the ancient trees and with only a little imagination, she felt she could see Gatsby-esque contingents strolling with the leisure afforded to the very wealthy.

Something about the entire scenario smelled to her; could this guy really be this dumb? She began wondering about Gloria and her brother. What did Grover do anyway? She took her phone from her purse and called Jill at the office.

"I need instant info, Jill. Grover Metcalf. Exactly what he did and where he worked. The bio I saw on the web was simply the basics."

"Give me a few minutes and I'll call you back."

Jarlayne closed her phone and tapped it against her chin.

"Where were you that night, Milo?"

"What night?"

"Don't be obtuse. The night Grover was murdered."

He gaped at her and started to rise then slammed back down, his face clouded and angry. "You think I killed Metcalf?"

"Where were you?"

"I was- I was home, okay?"

"Alone?"

"Yes, alone!"

"So nobody can vouch for you?"

His eyes found hers and he just stared defiantly.

She changed tack. "This is where I came in. There's nothing I can do, Milo. Your lawyers dropped me. The fact is the police are looking at me too. I got a call from Grover the night he was killed.