CHAPTER 11

At three o-clock the phone in Victor's study rang and he gave Charlotte a bleak look as he answered.

"Well?"

"I looked at the file."

"And?"

"I- three million... it- I can't get that much together in cash."

"Pity, I guess Dynaflex can happily come up with the money."

"No, wait!" Victor made an angry face then spoke as calmly as possible. "There's a chance I can get it together but not instantly."

"How long?"

He glanced at Charlotte and she glared back. "Friday?"

"This Friday, before noon or I go to Dynaflex."

"I'll have it. Where do I meet you?"

"You don't. We'll use the same desk at the Addison. You leave the package there."

"Christ man, do you have any idea how big a package that would be? No way."

Grover fell silent. He really didn't know how big it would be and it had never occurred to him. Now he had to make a decision on the fly and he knew Gloria would go ape.

"Take it to the post office and rent a locker. Leave the key at the hotel desk for a Mister Sawcow."

"Sawcow?"

"Just do it, and do not be late. The key better be there Friday before noon." Grover hung up and marched around his room cursing.

Victor looked at Charlotte and repeated the name aloud, getting a more intense glare than ever.

"I had to, Charlotte. I can't just let this go..."

"You are a fool, Victor. This will end badly, mark my words."

Wednesday

Derrick sat at the bar nursing his drink. Why didn't he just do the job he was hired to do? He was so confused about where he stood that he was afraid to move. When he and Milo bumped in to one another on the elevator Milo had been on the fourth floor.

He had been seeing somebody at the hotel and it could only have been Grover Metcalf, the name Della had provided. Did that mean he was involved with blackmailing Victor. Victor never told him exactly what the call was about but he was still a detective and he did have some intuitive thoughts. And if Milo was involved it was because Gloria was also in it up to her pretty neck. Three of them.

He should have braced the Metcalf guy but after running into Milo on the elevator he lost his enthusiasm. He was still in recovery from Della. His cell went off and he glanced at the caller. Victor.

"Shit!" He finished his drink and tapped the glass on the bar for a refill then opened the phone.

"Mister Enland."

"What have you got for me?"

"Well, I've been going over my—"

"Don't bullshit me with bafflegab, Cutter. What the hell have you got?"

Derrick took a slug of his fresh drink and stared at himself in the bar mirror. Crunch time, Cutter. Are you on the side of the angels or the devils?

"Cutter!"

"Sir. Yes. Well, I think I have the name of the man who called you—"

"Sawcow."

"Pardon?"

"His name is Sawcow."

"What? No. No sir, his name is Metcalf. Grover Metcalf and he's staying at the Addison in room number four-seventeen." Derrick listened to dead silence and began to fidget when it went on too long. "Mister Enland?"