CHAPTER 24

He swirled the wine in his glass and kept his focus on the action so as not to lose it to the vision across from him. Monk's was a popular dining spot for many of the city's special service people as well as government and corporate types.

It flaunted the healthy eating rules by offering thick, juicy steaks, ribs and chops and a number of deep-fried or breaded sides. Salads were all custom-made, at the table, as was the dressing—gobs of it. Alcoholic drinks were mandatory at Monk's—no alternatives were available.

Jarlayne wore a bottle green, silk blouse—two buttons undone—and a cream coloured skirt. Both highlighted her butter almond skin and in the wavering light from the tiny table candle, her dark hair and pale grey eyes reflecting its glow.

They had agreed to meet at the restaurant and when she arrived, a few minutes after him, the room seemed to empty of all sound as she confidently made her way to his table. Hood was aware of the envious eyes surrounding him and her unabashed peck on his cheek before she sat, almost exploded his chest with smug pride.

"Keep doing that and it'll turn to butter." She said, indicating his glass.

He stopped his twirling and smiled. "Just thinking."

"Well think about what you're going to have because here comes the waiter."

They dithered over various cuts of beef then both ordered the same, Hood accepted a refilling of their wine glasses, and said yes to a basket of Monk's home-baked bread. Conversation was limited to simple, not too revealing bios and business small talk. He talked about his failed attempt at marriage, giving his ex fiancé less blame for their breakup than Jarlayne thought she deserved.

For her part, he learned about her tough youth and the hard years with her mother while she fashioned her current career. They traded brief anecdotes after the food came and when it was finished they discussed the case over coffee and brandies.

"Is this when you dictate the ground rules?"

"I'm sure you're smart enough to know what they have to be."

She trailed a nail across the cloth and smiled. "Yes, I tell you everything and you thank me, revealing nothing in return."

"I'm not that selfish."

"Good. What did you get from Gloria?"

He had made the decision to share before they even began and knew he had allowed himself to be snookered. "Nothing more than I already told you really. She said she didn't know anything about her brother's work. She just said he was a technician or project manager at some company back home. She admitted that he called her when he got into town and that she was supposed to get back to him but didn't—a bald lie. She also said she was home alone that night but she let slip the fact that she knew Grover was killed quite late. She used the phrase, 'I was in bed at that hour'. The time of death was never released."

"Grover was a computer Tech back in Glebemont, our home town, so I would think she would know his occupation." Jarlayne remarked.

"I checked on his employment after the interview and learned the same thing. Also that he was on an extended leave of absence."

"So it does sound like she was up to no good with her brother, and she also knew when he was murdered. The theory is growing legs."

"Yeah. I wish I had known about the software business earlier. I might not have mentioned the divorce. The minute I brought it up Enland ended the interview."

"Enland was there?"

"His wife, his business, he said."

"What!" Her shocked reaction drew curious stares from the surrounding tables.