CHAPTER 17

"Jill, can you come in here a minute." She punched off the intercom button and sat back, tapping a nail on the file cover.

"Jill came in and leaned on the edge of the desk. "What's up?" The pencil dropped from her hair onto the desk. "Oops."

"This file. The Milo French case we're doing for Storeman. Where did this information come from? I don't recall anything about a divorce when we accepted the work."

Jill picked up the file and glanced at the page Jarlayne had indicated.

"This was faxed in after the contract was signed. We asked for any pertinent documentation they had about his employment, social life, education... just regular background for the file."

"I understand that, Jill, I'm talking about this divorce business. Storeman never mentioned a divorce when he gave us the case."

"I honestly don't know then. I just took the faxes that came in and attached them to the file pages."

"Didn't you read them?"

"I scanned... I guess I just assumed it was what we requested."

Jill stepped back from the desk and stood defensively. Her reliability had never been questioned before and this oversight was a shock to both of them.

"Is it that important? It was just a straight background check, nothing anybody couldn't do. I mean what difference does it make if it is about this divorce?" She glanced at the file again and licked her lips. "I guess... I mean, like I said, I didn't really read the thing. I just confirmed it was from our client. I thought it was what we asked for."

"Do you see the significance of this?"

Jill just looked confused.

"I'm sorry." Jarlayne held up the fax. "I just told you this morning about the phone call I got and about the police visit."

Jill's confusion expanded to her whole body language as she waved her arms and looked about in bewilderment. Jarlayne turned the page around and pointed to the signature.

"Read that name."

Jill leaned over and read the words and suddenly her expression changed and she looked up at Jarlayne. "That's the name of—"

"The sister of Grover Metcalf. The man who called me and who was murdered shortly afterward. She is also the wife of the president who apparently Milo French is involved with."

"Do you think that murder had something to do with this divorce business?"

"I think I want to have chat with this Gloria."

"But you said we were off the case."

"We are. This is about Grover's call to me and why he wanted to hire me."

"Do you think she knows why?"

"That, my dear, is what I intend to find out." She stabbed a finger on the page. "Get the client on the phone."

Jill fled the office and Jarlayne stared at the fax sheet. When the line lit up, she picked up the phone.

"Miss Brighton, are you calling with good news already; you only started Friday."

"Hardly, Mr. Storeman."

"Jack. Please."

She gave an assenting grunt. "It seems after making a request to your office for some information on Milo French, we received a fax containing information on a divorce proceeding in which he is involved... with a Mrs. Gloria Enland."