Glimpses of the past

"Isn't it wonderful! It has been a while since we last were at the family estate of the Dirboue's. Do you think it has changed much? I hope they finally got rid of that horrible painting in the hallway. It is just painful to look at. The colors don't match at all, and the painter painted Seigneur Dirboue's nose all wrong. The whole head in general does not resemble him at all, don't you think mother?"

Leo smiled to himself and looked out of the little window of the carriage. His sister painted a lot and was very critical. She had decades of experience, while the painter she was writing down as a disgrace for his profession had been a human, therefor the best man had less experience.

Suddenly his dear sister pulled him into the conversation.

"Leo you agree with me right? You noticed it too, didn't you? That painting is just horrific. Seigneur Dirboue looks like he's just been in a fight where someone hit him right in the face, and he is constantly trying to get a good look at his nose."

His sister directed her fierce amber colored eyes at him. Knowing that she wouldn't stop until he agreed with her, Leo hurriedly nodded. To be honest, he hadn't paid much attention to the painting of discussion. To him it looked just fine, but he knew better than to say that out loud. He resolved to take a good look at the painting once they were at the estate, if the painting was still there.

While his sister kept holding a mostly one sided conversation about art with him, Leo thoughts trailed off. He was looking forward to the ball at the Dirboue's, but he was also really nervous. He would finally see her again. Celeste, the youngest and most beautiful daughter of the Dirboue's. She had long blonde hair that glittered as gold when light fell upon it, and her eyes were as blue as the sky on a sunny day. Her skin was smooth white, her lips a beautiful mix of pink and red, and when she smiled it lit up the room. All warlocks were beautiful, but she was the most beautiful of them all, almost angelic.

Scratch that, she was angelic. Leo had only seen her a couple of times, but he was already head over tail in love with her. The last time they met she had smiled at him, before elegantly making her way through the crowded room. It had made his heart swell of pride. She had noticed him!

She had lots of admirers who would do anything for her, as would Leo. Which was why he was nervous. Had he chosen the right clothes to wear? Was his hair not out of place?

"Leo."

Was there dust on his shoes? Weren't his clothes too boring?
"Leo!" his sister honked in his ear. When she was sure she got his attention, she pointed to the open carriage door. "We have arrived. Father, mother and Vincent are waiting, so hurry up."

Seeing that she was right, Leo hurriedly climbed out of the carriage and took his sister by the arm to follow his father and mother, who were waiting a few feet further to go inside.

When going inside they were greeted by bright light from at least a dozen candles and an aroma of all kinds of delicious appetizers. And also by a few servants who took their coats.

The hallway was as beautiful as ever. The walls were paneled in dark woods, wood that would be expensive had it not come from the dark oak forest nearby, and the floor was covered with a carpet of deep red wool. The warm atmosphere it brought was intensified by the glittering chandelier hanging from the ceiling, and the candles on the walls held by beautifully carved silver girandoles. In between, there hung paintings of the various men that had lived here. Of course they were of only one person, adjusting his look over the centuries. The latest painting hung not so far away, for all the world to see. It portrayed Seigneur Dirboue's upper half in his finest clothes, his finest wig--not so up to date--and his sword under his arm, while looking mysteriously in the distance.