• Chapter 3 •

You and Keishin had known each other since you were children. You were pretty close with each other, despite the rivalry you had that was influenced by your grandparents. You had met each other through Yasufumi and Ikkei. Whenever you would visit the old men made sure to meet up so that the two of you could play together. Keishin was two years older than you but that didn't really mean much at the time.

Most of the time you spent with Keishin was during the summer, as the two of you went to different schools, and lived far away from each other. The older you got the stronger your friendship grew, as did the more aggressive. Meaning Keishin began teasing a lot more which led to harmless fighting between the two of you.

By high school Keishin started dating, so he talked to you less. He didn't stop just not as much as he would normally. You understood this, having a close friend that's a female would steer away girls so you didn't mind much. You did the same as you talked to more boys. Keishin didn't really like this but you figured he was just being protective like how a sibling would be.

The two of you stopped talking completely after some things went down in college. Both of you were really hurt by what happened, especially you. Keishin did something he promised he'd never do. And what hurt the most is the fact that you were used to people breaking their promises, but it wasn't something you ever expected from him.

Fast forward to today, here the two of you stand face to face after years of not speaking to each other.

"(Y/n) it's good to see you again," Keishin spoke first trying to spark up some conversation.

"Ukai." You nodded and walked past him towards the team advisor. Keishin wasn't surprised you wanted nothing to do with him. He messed up big time back in college. Thoughts were flooding his mind as he watched you talk to Takeda, his palms began to sweat. His thoughts were cut off by a certain coach.

"I don't know what happened between the two of you. She's always avoided the subject when I bring it up, but whatever it is I suggest you do something to fix it." Yasufumi said pointedly before heading over to his own team to tell them to start warming up. Keishin sighed and looked back over at you. How could he do that when you wouldn't even spare him a glance?

~time skip to after the match cuz I'm lazy XD~

AN: P.S. coach Nekomata is still in charge you only came to observe

That was certainly an interesting game. You could tell Karasuno's new team had potential. Especially with their short redhead and sharp setter. You began doubting your ability to coach these kids. It's been so long since you've played volleyball, and there was no way you could ever compare to your grandpa. You congratulated the players and helped with handing out water bottles. Shortly after you excused yourself to the washroom so you could clear your thoughts. Little did you know a pair of eyes were watching you as you walked away from the courts.

As you finished up in the bathroom, you looked in the mirror one last time. You frowned at yourself then quickly slapped yourself a couple of times. 'No, I can't think like this. The old man trusts me, so I can't let him down.' You dusted off yourself and headed out of the washroom. As soon as you turned out the door you came headfirst to a brick wall and fell back. Before you could hit the ground you felt arms around your waist. You opened your eyes to see your one and only ex-best friend.

"Should be a little more careful there." He chuckled awkwardly. You quickly pushed away from his grip and glared at him.

"What're you doing here?" You shot back nastily.

He winced, "I wanted to talk to you." He took your silence as okay to continue. "I know I messed up a while back-to-back" you snorted.

"Sorry, go on." You apologized looking away from him.

"...I just. Well I. Ugh listen, our we're both going to be coach rivaling schools and our kids are already getting close. I figured it'd be best if we get more comfortable with each for their sake." He paused, "So what I'm saying is..do you think we could uh be friends again?"

Your eyes widened and you look back at him. You can't remember the last time you looked at each other in the eyes like this. Ok, you could but you'd rather not. It didn't end well.

As your (e/c) eyes gazed into his chocolate ones, you remembered what you used to be. All the good times you shared, and your annoying incapability of saying no. He looked so sincere, so vulnerable. How could you ever say no to that face? So you didn't.

"Ok." You gave him a small smile, and out of habit, you hugged him. Now he was the frozen deer in headlights. For years you hated his guts, now here you were hugging him.

You realized what you were doing and abruptly pushed away almost falling backward in the process. "I'm so sorry I didn't mean t-"

"It's fine. You just caught me off guard. I'm glad to have you back" he reassured you. You blushed and pushed him out the way and started making your way back to the gym.

He chuckled, "And you haven't changed much either."