CHAPTER FIVE

"Well, that was fun," JJ said, his head in Gina's lap, once we were all back on the boat

"Well, that was fun," JJ said, his head in Gina's lap, once we were all back on the boat. "You could have warned us a little sooner."

"We would have, except Pope was on the math team," Kiarra grumbled.

Gina stifled a laugh. "You were on the math team?" she asked my friend, raising my eyebrows. "I knew you were a nerd, but I never knew it was that bad."

"Shut up," Pope rolled his eyes. "The cops took everything like it was a crime scene. Did you guys find anything?"

"Did we find anything?" JJ asked, sitting up. "No, I don't think so. Oh yeah, we did." He held up the gun and the money had stolen from the safe.

"What the hell!" Pope exclaimed, staring at JJ in astonishment.

"Dude, what?" Kie asked, a similar expression to Pope's.

"Why would you take that from a crime scene?" Pope asked worriedly, running a hand over his short hair.

"It's better than the cop's having it, bruh," JJ argued.

"We'll you having it isn't such a good idea either, JJ," Gina said, standing up and walking closer to him and Pope.

"I'm gonna lose my merit scholarship," Pope panicked, shaking his head in frustration.

"Hey, hey," JJ tried to consol, "at least you have us, right?"

"I think we might be part of the problem," Gina whispered to JJ. He smiled back at her and wrapped an arm around her waist.

"I'm living the nightmare!" Pope wined, slightly over dramatic as he plopped back down next to John B.

⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓

"Who's that?" Gina asked. The crew was back on land, nervously watching a body get wheeled away on a stretcher.

"That's Scooter Grubbs, he was out during the storm," a girl told us. "Check out this pic I got! Dead body!"

The other pogues leaned in to see the picture, but Gina looked away, not at all wanting to see the bloated corpse.

"What kind of boat did he have?" JJ asked the blonde girl.

"Somehow that dirt bag copped a brand-new Grady White," the girl said, still letting Pope look at the picture. "Everyone's out looking for it."

John B, JJ, and Gina exchanged a look. The boat they had just found must have been Scooter Grubbs'. And now he was dead. Something weird was definitely going on here.

⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓

The crew was back at John B's, Pope anxiously pacing around screened in porch. Gina sat on the arm of JJ's chair, both of them playing with the other's fingers so that they weren't really holding hands, but almost were.

"Okay, So um, we didn't see anything, we don't know anything," Pope said, pointing at all of them like they were about to run off and tell the cops what they had seen. "We need to have total and complete amnesia."

"Actually, Pope's right for once," JJ said, still playing with Gina's fingers before standing up. "See, I agree with you sometimes. Deny, deny, deny."

"Guys, we can't keep that money," Kie said, looking distraught.

"Not all of us can afford unlimited data plans, Kiara," JJ sighed, messing with his lighter. His fingers always had to be doing something, the boy just couldn't stay still.

"JJ, you don't have to be a dick about it," Gina said, rolling her brown eyes. "She's not a Kook, she's one of us."

"Thank you, Gigi. We have to pass that off to Lana Grubbs, otherwise, it's bad karma," she said.

"Bad karma to be implicated in a felony, too," Pope added. "We gotta go dark."

"If that means we get to keep the money, then I agree," JJ said, not looking at any of them.

"I don't agree," John B told JJ.

"What? Why?" JJ asked.

"Just think about it," John B started to explain. "This is Scooter Grubbs we're talking about. Same dude that's buying individual cigarettes at the Porthole. Shit, one time I saw this dude begging for change in the Save-A-Lot parking lot because he needed gas. We're talking about a dirtbag marina rat who's never had more than forty bucks in his pocket,and all of a sudden he's got a Grady White? Just sayin'."

They all continued to debate how Scooter got the money and finally decided that he had been a smuggler and that's why he was out on the water the day of the hurricane. It was a bit of a wild theory, but it kind of fit. Why else would someone that poor be out in the middle of a hurricane with one of the nicest boats on the market?

"For the record," Pope said as they all chilled in John B's room, "if that is a smuggling ship with illegal contraband on the inside of it, it probably belongs to someone else."

"Minor details," Gina shrugged, laying her head on JJ's shoulder.

"They could come looking for it," Pope tried to reason. "Taking it would be catastrophically stupid."

"Right," JJ said, sitting up and fanning the one hundred dollar bills under Pope's nose. "Well, stupid things have good outcomes all the time. All we need to do is figure out a way to get into the cargo hold of that wreck. Until then, just lay low. Just act normal."

"Right, and how exactly do we do that?" Pope asked, rolling his eyes.

"Kegger?" Kie asked.

"I love the way you think, Kie," Gina smiled at the only other girl in the group.