CHAPTER SEVEN

Gina woke up the next morning still wrapped up in JJ's arms

Gina woke up the next morning still wrapped up in JJ's arms. She could smell the salty air coming off of the ocean, hear the sea breeze rustling her curtains. For some unexplainable reason, the world felt peaceful.

"Morning, beautiful," JJ mumbled into her hair once he realized she was awake.

"Oh, shut up," she said with a groggy smile.

"What, I'm trying to do the right thing and that means not lying," he said, playing with her dark hair. "So, you're beautiful and look absolutely perfect even though you just woke up."

She rolled her eyes before she got out of my warm bed. "You must still be drunk. I'm gonna go shower."

"Mind if I join you?" he smirked, propping himself up on an elbow.

"You're really drunk if you think I'm gonna say yes," she said before closing her bedroom door and walking to the one bathroom in her apartment.

⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓

"Look, I'm calling it off, alright?" John B told the group once they had all arrived at his house. "Peterkin said if I stay out of the march, she'll help me with DCS."

"And you believe her?" JJ asked from behind Kie and Gina.

"Yes, I believed her, JJ," John B sounded frustrated and Gina knew he didn't have a choice but to believe Peterkin. He wanted to stay on the island and he couldn't do that if he got taken by DCS.

"An actual cop, John B?" JJ questioned. "You believed a cop."

"Look, all I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple of days, and she'll help me out!" John B defended. "And it doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun."

"He was just trying to help," Gina said so quietly that no body heard her.

"You know what I should have done?" JJ asked John B. "Just let Topper drown your ass."

"Yeah, Topper was gonna drown me?" John B scoffed.

"Sure looked like it," JJ reliped standing up and walking toward John B. "Have you looked in a mirror recently?"

"Come on, tell me some more," John B said, the two boys squaring up for a fight. "Come on!"

"They always win, don't they, man?" JJ asked in frustration. "Kooks versus Pogues. They always, always win! Goddamn it!"

"Look, it's okay!" Kie said, trying to calm both boys down.

"No, it's not okay!" JJ yelled, making Kie jump slightly. "It is not!"

"JJ, stop yelling and just calm the fuck down," Gina groaned running a hand through her hair. It was too early in the morning for them all to be arguing again.

"They don't want us to go down into the marsh," JJ reasoned a bit more calm than before, but not by much. "That means there's something valuable down there, and we all know it." He turned to Pope. "And I understand why you don't wanna go. You're the golden boy. You got way too much to risk. And Gina, you have a life ahead of you and a good head on your pretty, little shoulders. You're gonna make bank one day writing books that even I would read." She brushed off the part about being pretty as JJ turned to Kie. "And you, I mean, you're already rich as fuck anyway. Why would you bother?" he turned back to John B and said, "But you and me, man, we got nothin' to lose! We really don't, alright?"

Gina stood up and took his hands, putting her head on his shoulder while still behind him. "JJ, you don't mean that."

"It's the truth!" he exclaimed. She rubbed little circles on the back of his hand and felt him calm down a bit. "And I know, it didn't used to be that way for you," he said, still talking to John B.

"I don't want to talk about this," John B said quietly. "I don't want to talk about it."

"So that's it?" JJ asked, anger flooding back into his blood.

"Just get out of my way, bro," John B said, pushing past JJ and Gina and almost knocking her over.

"You okay?" JJ asked, quickly grabbing her to keep her from tumbling over. "What the hell man, you could have hurt her!"

"I'm fine, JJ," she told him. "It's not a big deal. I can take care of myself, you know."

"I'm sorry, Gina," John B said, looking upset that he had almost hurt her.

JJ nodded, satisfied that John B had apologized to Gina. "John B, listen to me. I have a plan. You got the key to Cameron's big boat, right? There's scuba gear inside there. We just borrow that, and then we go down to the wreck this afternoon, and that is what's gonna save you, man. You don't see rich kids going into foster care, do you?"