CHAPTER TWENTY

"Don't let it get in your head," JJ told Pope at Hayward's store the next day

"Don't let it get in your head," JJ told Pope at Hayward's store the next day. "Three of them and two of us, that's some typical Kook shit right there.

"Hell, yeah," Kie agreed.

"What was your thought process, using your head?" JJ asked Pope.

"I don't know, man. I just kind of acted off of instinct, alright. I was a cornered animal," Pope told him while he tried to work.

"See," Gina smiled at her friend, "you can be a badass when you really want to."

"Hey, Pope," Heyward called. "Someone here to see you."

The four of them looked up to see Officer Shoupe walking into the shop. Gina still had no idea what JJ and Pope had done, but she knew it wasn't good. She couldn't help but wonder why the hell the cops were here.

"Evening, Officer," Pope's eyes grew wide with fear.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property," Shoupe announced, walking closer to them. "Keep your hands on the counter, where I can see 'em."

"Whoa," Heyward cut in. "Shoupe, what'd he do?"

"Take a look at the warrant," Shoupe instructed as he handcuffed Pope.

"You're arresting him?" Kie asked in disbelief.

"JJ, what did you guys do?" Gina franticly whispered, turning to look him in the eye.

"We-we sank Topper's boat," JJ sighed, rubbing circles on her hand.

"You did what?" Gina exclaimed, trying really hard to keep her voice quiet so Shoupe wouldn't hear them.

"Anything you say can and will be held against you in the court of law," Shoupe told Pope. "You have the right to an attorney."

"How much did they pay you, man?" JJ asked Shoupe, an intense anger in his blue eyes."How much?"

"This can't be happening," Gina breathed, watching the scene unfold in front of her. They followed Pope out of the store, yelling protests at the cop the whole way.

"It wasn't him!" JJ yelled. Gina spun around to look at him and when she realized what he was about to do, she wanted to burst into tears. "It was me."

"JJ," Gina squeezed his hand, trying to stop him.

"It'll be okay, baby," he whispered to her before pointing at Pope. "He tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad because he'd just been beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from Figure Eight that I lost my shit. I can't let you take the blame for somethin' I did. You've got too much to lose."

"JJ, what are you doing?" Pope asked.

"I'm tellin' the truth," JJ smiled sadly. "For once in my goddamn life, I'm gonna tell the truth. I took his old man's boat, too."