Chapter 1

5 years later

I prowled through the brush. My arrow was nocked on my bowstring, ready to draw back in case I found my prey. A rustle nearby drew my attention and a small squeal echoed in the quiet as a vicious snarl roared through the air. The squeal was suddenly cut off by the sounds of heavy breathing and sounds of flesh tearing. I peered from behind my hiding place, seeing a monster.

The monster was hunched over the small form of a boar. The monster had the form of a human but that was where the similarities ended. Although his body seemed like a human, he was an animal. The gray fur on its back was matted and dirty with both dirt and blood. His head was the shape of a wolf's and blood dripped from his jaws. Black eyes were filled with hunger and madness which made him so much more dangerous. Black and sharp long claws were extending from his long fingers and feet.

I pulled back my arrow, feeling the tension of my bow. I felt my heart beat in rhythm to the seconds that counted down. A breeze suddenly shifted, carrying my scent towards my pray. I wanted to curse as I released my arrow. I knew that the arrow would not find its mark but hoped that it would at least hit its mark. A loud yelp broke through the air but I had already drawn my blades, bringing it up in time to stop the beast's claws from digging into my face. Spittle flew onto my face as the beast growled and snarled at me. Snarling back at it, I pushed back, surprising the beast with my strength. We stepped back before lunging at each other. Claws dug into my skin, drawing blood, but I swung back, cutting deep slashes into the beast's unprotected sides. I growled as the beast dodged my blow, going low and rushing towards me. The creature slammed into me, knocking me to the ground. He leaped at me as I rolled and brought up my daggers, catching his back legs. The beast retreated, circling me and watching me with calculating eyes.

It growled at me, lowering itself to launch itself at me. Black eyes glared at me in hatred and his claws dug into the dark earth. Suddenly there was a sound that made both of us pause. A howl rang in the distance. The sound was so morose and panicked that all who heard it could identify it as a call for help. The beast's howl rang in cacophony of howls throughout the forest that echoed in response. Before I could strike him while he was distracted, he was running through the trees.

"Fucking stupid lycans," I muttered as I started after it.

Sang, do you want to shift? Amara said softly in my head.

No, I want to see why that lycan was calling for help. At my words, she settled down but was alert. I focused on chasing the mad lycan through the brush. I had been chasing him for about ten minutes when I sensed a large group of lycans in a nearby clearing. I slowed, wrapping my magic around me to prevent my scent to reach them. By allowing my powers to cover me, my other senses were heightened, making me smell a scent that had me snarling. The scent was faint but it was undeniably human.

I frowned, wondering why there were people in these woods. Didn't they know that evil and dangerous things lingered in this forest? There is a reason why this is called the Forbidden Forest

I climbed the tall and thick trees. These trees were ancient. Dark in color and twisted. They rose high into the sky. The crowns of these ancient trees intertwined around each other that it almost blocked the sight of the sky. I climbed until I was high within the limbs. Then I was jumping from limb to limb silently and quickly. Hidden in the trees, I looked down when flashes of something went by below.

At least thirty of these deranged lycans ran in the area. Their black eyes shone with a lunacy, and spittle foamed from their mouths. Decaying yet sharp teeth shone in the dark as they circled their next prey. Knowing who their prey is, I cursed, wanting to kill them myself.

Amara lifted her head at the sight of these men and curled her lips in a snarl. Great. Just fucking great.

what? I asked her. Amara never curses. Only in times when she is pissed off, hungry, or frustrated.

I felt her rolling her eyes. I know what you're going to do. You're going to jump in and save them. Sometimes I wish that we could just burn them all to ash. They make such a fuss after seeing our true form even though we saved them. Ungrateful fucking beasts.

You can't kill anyone you want, I huffed although I agreed with her. Although we had saved the misfortunate in our true form, they always tried to kill us. At least the Evil Bitch One told the truth about that.

Amara curled her head back towards her body but kept a violet eye on me. Fine. Save them. You need to talk to humans sometime. People might think you're crazy taking to yourself.

I flipped her off. She can be so hard sometimes. Complaining about people killing us then complaining about me not talking to people. Inside my head, her laughter rang at my unguarded thoughts. Shielding my mind, I focused on following them when slight movement of wind behind me had me whirling around with my blade in my hand, moving towards the thing that dared to sneak up on me. My other hand jerked forward as fast as an asp toward a neck. When I came to a stop, my assailant was pressed against the tree with my hand around a neck and my dagger over his heart. Growling, I looked into brown eyes.