Chapter 9

They blinked at me before Gabriel started to laugh. A smile of surprise and praise lit his face, making my heart beat faster. He wiped tears from his eyes. "You're really smart, Sang. Yes, we know that she is a traitor. She has a lot of people convinced that she is a great steward but the people inside the palace know her true self."

"So what do you intend to do?" I asked in curiosity.

Gabriel shared a look at his Protectors. "To graduate from the Academy and take my place as the rightful ruler. Right now, my power is limited, but once I graduate, I want to change my kingdom."

I tilted my head. "Change? Change what?"

Gabriel smirked and bent at the waist until his face was a few inches from mine. His crystal blue eyes held secrets that I knew that I wouldn't be privy to. Yet.

He raised his hand and surprised me, bopping me on my nose. "That's for me to figure out, little bat. Now you just have to survive the Academy, too."

Kota spoke. "I'm sorry to disturb this moment, but I believe that we have some things in our schedule."

Gabriel straightened and nodded, becoming serious. He looked at me. "I'll send our schedules over, and have Luke accompany you until you learn our schedule. Also, we need to get you a wardrobe."

It was my time to blink. "Wardrobe? The clothes in the closet are fine."

Gabriel waved his hand. "No they aren't. Come to my room in two hours."

With that he left with most of them, leaving Sean, Raven, Corey, Marc, Luke, and Nathan. I looked at the remainders. "I can't refuse, can I?"

Nathan looked at me with an expression of resignation. "Just bear with it. It's easier to do it than refuse."

Luke jumped onto my bed, knocking me to the side. "You'll have new armor so that's a bonus."

I frowned. I had liked my armor. It gave me the movement I needed to be fast and I was comfortable in it, but a thought came into my mind. I would be around the future king of Arcadia, and it would be bad for both Gabriel and me and the others if I didn't look like I was part of his guards. I let out a resigned sigh. "Okay."

Marc eyebrows went up in surprise. "That was easy."

I rolled my eyes. I've been in their company for only a short time and I feel comfortable around them to be myself. "I'm going to be around you guys so I might as well look the part." I glanced at Sean who had the worst reaction to Pam. "Can I ask why you had such a reaction to Pam?"

The guys quieted and diverted their attention to Sean who looked affronted. He crossed his arms and pouted. "She thought that since I was a rare shifter, I should be part of her guard."

I was sure my expression showed confusion because Sean kept speaking. "Prince Gabriel's guard is the highest position a warrior can get. When I refused her offer, she tried to sabotage missions and place blame of failed missions on the others to make them look bad. She even started to spread rumors about me. She thought that I was going to leave his guard because of htat. When Gabriel heard of this, he worked to clear our names and found the actual people responsible for those failed missions. Then he threatened Pam to stop."

I leaned forward, curious. "What did he threaten Pam with?"

Corey shrugged. "Don't know, but it was enough to scare Pam to avoid us for six months."

Amara smiled inside me. She liked that they were willing to look after each other. That they depended on each other while holding each up.

"Would you like a tour of the palace?" Sean asked, standing from his place on the bed. He held a hand out, looking at me with his jade green eyes. My heart thumped loudly, and I suddenly felt girly. After living in the Forbidden Forest with no one but Amara for company, I didn't feel like the innocent girl I once was. But now with these men I feel that I could be. I took his hand and his hand encased mine in a warm embrace, I thought that I wasn't sure that it was a bad thing.

this chapter is dedicated to theWritersed because of their beautiful covers which they created for this, holding onto fate, and blind love. I love the covers and i hope everyone loves them too.