8

Judith was woken by the sound of someone knocking at her door. She had gotten up not long after Mark left for work and somehow she fell back to sleep on the sofa. She stood up drowsily as the knocking came again, louder and faster.
"Yeah, yeah. I'm coming," she grumbled, more to herself than alerting whoever was at the door.
Summer stood on her doorstep dressed as stylish as she did every day and the smile soon faded from her face when she saw Judith opening the door in her fleecy pyjamas and oversized dressing gown, hair in a mess and no makeup in days.
"Jesus, Judith... You look terrible."
"Nice to see you too." Judith left the door open and walked back into the hallway. Summer followed her in.
"I take it Mark called." Judith made her way to the kitchen.
"What makes you say that?"
"I haven't seen or heard from you lately, so I assume after last night..."
"What about last night."
Judith turned back to face her, they were both in the kitchen now. Judith just stared at her. "Do you want a coffee?"
"No, well yes. But that's why I'm here. I came to see if you wanted to go into town for a coffee? Maybe do a little shopping?"
"Ah summer, I really couldn't be bother. I'm not in the mood."
"Come on, go get dressed. It'll do to the world of good to get out of the house for a bit." Summer smiled hoping it would int intise her into going but she could see that it wasn't having any effect. "Plus I need you help with something." She added in quickly before Judith could speak again.
"I dunno Summer... I really can't be bothered."
"Come on, I'll buy you some of that chocolate cake you live so much."
Summer saw a spark in her eye and she knew it was only a matter of time before she gave in.

***