1

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

"I can't believe this!" Her twin brother said aggressively as he slammed their front door shut.

"What?" She raised her eyebrow, thinking it was probably something that happened at work.

"Rory ditched our date and I saw her with Jess!" Dean said, raising confusion in his sister.

"Who's Jess?" She asks, sitting up from her laying position on the couch.

"Some guy. Some new guy. Luke's nephew." Dean rolled his eyes, sitting next to her on the couch. Dean had an obsessive problem with Rory and all their recent troubles. They had broken up before.

Mia thought Rory was nice enough, but she treated her brother like trash. And Mia was very protective over her brother.

Mia wondered about this new guy but didn't think they would get along too well given the circumstances. "I'm sorry, bubba. I gotta go. Lindsay and I have to study."

Lindsay was Mia's best friend, she was beautiful and blonde and spent a lot of time at their house. Mia walked to Luke's and arrived there before Lindsay got there.

She went to sit at the bar and saw Loreali and Rory talking to Luke. They noticed her as well and smiled at her. "Hey Mia!" Rory says and she walks over to them.

Rory and Mia stayed civil throughout breakups between her and Dean. Even at one point, they were friends. The Gilmore family accepted them immediately into town.

"Hey guys." Mia smiles at the three of them as a boy with a gray shirt with a white long sleeve underneath with blue denim jeans and a black belt.

Mia felt crazy but when they first saw each other, she felt like her whole world changed. It was like they say in movies. When you meet the one, you know.

"Mia, this is Jess, my nephew." Luke says, introducing the two. Mia smiles and nods, this was the guy her brother was worried about? Shit. "Jess, this is Mia."

"Hey." "Hey." They both exchange, she was almost too speechless to say anything else. But she didn't have to worry about it.

Rory hopped into the conversation, "Hey, is Dean okay? I feel bad about not being able to be with him today, something came up." Something. Jess is the something.

"Uh, yeah, nothing he can't get over." Mia shrugged and smiled. Still trying to get her mind off Jess.

"Would you like to join us?" Lorelai asked. Loreali was always so nice to Mia. When Dean and Rory started dating, their families became close. Rory and Mia became close.

Just whenever Mia really thought about her friendship with Rory, she knew she came in second place. And it just touched on her insecurities.

"Thanks for the offer but I'm actually meeting a friend. Maybe later though." Mia smiles before Rory stands up to walk over to her in private.

"Hey I was wondering if you and Dean wanted to come to a dinner at my house tonight, I would ask him but I don't think he wants to talk to me. It's a welcome party for Jess, Sookie and Jackson will be there, Luke, my mom and I." Rory says and Mia nods.

She was sure the last thing Dean would want to do is surround himself with his new public enemy number one. But it was a friendly offer.

"Uh, yeah. I'll see. Have a good day, Rory." Mia smiles as she sees Lindsay come inside. They grab a table rather far from the people she just spoke too.

Lindsay sat across the table from her and smiled. "Hey." She said pulling out her books. "Did you see new guy?" She says, nodding her head in Jess's direction.

Mia turns around to look at him once more. He gives her a wink and she blushes. "Uh, yeah. He's Luke's nephew." She chuckles, also getting her books out.

"Cute, isn't he?" Lindsay smiles, writing something down on her paper.

"Yeah, I guess. I guess Rory thinks so too, my brother came in yelling about him today." Mia says.

"Well, tell your brother if he ever needs a friend, I'm here." Lindsay says and Mia rolls her eyes. Lindsay had a crush on Dean since they moved to Chicago. But Dean was in love with Rory. That's just how it was.

"Let's get to it, L." Mia says. They were finishing up their junior year at Stars Hallow High. They were finishing up their college applications and Mia was terrified.

There was something about Mia and her brother where they were very hard workers but just couldn't get the whole school thing down. She wasn't dumb, she just wasn't the smartest.

"Any ideas on your top choices?" Lindsay asked  and Mia shook her head.

"You know, I'm starting to think I don't even want to go to college. I mean, I don't know what I wanna do." Mia shrugged as she put her hands over her face. One could tell the stress on her face. She took a deep breath and stood up. "I'm gonna go get some air. I'll be back in five."

She walked out to the back of Luke's diner, taking a cigarette out of her back pocket and lighting it from the lighter in her other pocket. She sat down behind a tree so she wasn't in sight. It wasn't a huge habit just something she did on the side.

"So your Dean's sister, right?" She hears a boy ask from behind her. Scaring her half to death as she thought she was hidden well. Mia hid the cigarette behind her back quickly as she stood up, realizing it was Jess.

"Uh, yeah." Mia says as he walks closer to her, sitting on the curb next to her.

"He's not very nice." Jess says, looking around at the small town he now had to call home.

"I'm sure he would say the same thing about you." She chuckled, standing up. Probably should be getting back to Lindsay soon.

"You going to that thing tonight?" Jess asked, in which she nodded a simple 'yes.'

"Well, then I'll see you there." He gave a slight smile to her, the first time she saw him do such a thing.

authors note : chapter 1 woo!! some things will be different than the actual show but i'm trying to keep it on as much as possible! leave feedback, comment/vote!

word count - 1070