8

CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

Rory and Dean were really excited and getting prepared for the 'Bid on a Basket' Fundraiser where Mia could already predict the situation.

Rory was buying her basket at Doose's and talking to Dean when Jess interrupted the conversation after they kissed.

"Sorry to intrude." Jess said. Dean still hated him - everything about him angered him and it got worse when he started fighting with his sister since he came into the picture.

"Then why did you?" Dean asks aggressively, earning a confused face from both Rory and Jess.

" Well, you're having your vertical From Here to Eternity moment right in front of the super glue." Jess said sarcastically knowing it pissed Dean off. Rory nodded, trying to move but Dean didn't react the same way. "Not that that's not an appropriate place to be doing it in front of but"

Dean cuts him off by handing him the glue. "Here you go."

Jess nods and takes a deep breath. "Thanks. As you were." He responds as he walks away.

"I really hate that guy." Dean shakes his head - his hatred for Jess grew stronger and stronger everyday.

"He didn't do anything." Rory shrugged as she continued to search for a basket.

"He's here. He's breathing. And he's dating my sister. That's enough." Dean said. Mia and Jess hadn't become official but Dean and Rory had talked about them going on that date and began to assume.

"I really wish you two could start over." Rory said.

"Why?" Dean asked as he shook his head.

"Because it would mean a lot to Mia. Because he lives here and we run into him. He goes to school here. I just think it'd be easier." Rory said.

"I'm perfectly fine with the hating thing." Dean responds and they gave a goodbye and they would see each other later.

Meanwhile, Jess met Mia outside the store. She had sent him in to try to avoid her brother as much as she could despite the fact that it was a difficult job since they lived together.

"Let me just say, your brother really hates me." Jess said as he met Mia outside the door and they started walking around town.

"I could've told you that." Mia said as they arrived into Luke's. She sat at the counter and he walked behind the counter. "Hey Luke."

"Hey Mia." The man responded, he was happy Jess had found Mia. It was a way to consume his time that didn't involve crime or anything of the sort. And Mia was a good example.

Jess handed her a cup of coffee and looked down at her. "Are you doing that Bid-A-Basket thing?"

Mia took a deep breath and took a sip of coffee before responding. "Not really my thing. But I have to teach a dance class for Ms. Patty since she'll be at the fundraiser. My brother and Rory will be there if you decide it interests you." Mia says mostly sarcastically.

She didn't think he would go. Mia definitely didn't expect to see her brother at her bedroom door when she got home from class.

"I thought we weren't talking." Mia joked despite realizing he was in a bad mood.

"I knew Jess was bad news. You know today, he outbid me on Rory's basket." Dean said and Mia froze in her steps before shaking it off. It didn't matter . It wasn't a big deal.

"He was probably just trying to get under your skin. It clearly worked." Mia shook her head as she got ready to go out with a late night snack with Jess that they had made plans for the night before.

"I just don't understand how you can be okay with my girlfriend and your supposed boyfriend are eating a lunch together that he spent $90 on?" Dean asked, crossing his arms. So maybe it bothered her but she would never let Dean win.

"Trust. Dean. Trust." Mia said as she put her hair out of a ponytail and threw a jean jacket over her outfit. "We'll talk about this later."

Mia walked down the stairs and walked towards town center where she would meet Jess.

He sat on a bench waiting for her and looked at her with a smile when she approached. "Hey Mia" Jess said and Mia took a deep breath and looked at him.

"Hey." Mia nodded and Jess immediately recognized that she wasn't herself and was a bit upset. He grabbed her hand as they started walking to his shared apartment with Luke.

"Is everything okay?" Jess asked. Usually Mia was bubbly and talkative. But she couldn't get her mind off the conversation she had with her brother.

"Yeah uh, did you outbid Dean on Rory's basket today?" Mia asked, not wanting to come off as clingy or obsessive.

"I, uh, yeah." Jess started. "I just wanted to mess with him. It really had nothing to do with Rory, okay? I'm not that kind of guy." Mia nodded her head.

"Yeah and I mean it would be okay if you did. We're not official, I just thought I would ask." Mia shrugged her shoulders as they arrived to Luke's who was closing up the diner.

Jess didn't respond until they got up to the apartment. He opened the door and stood against the door. "So let's be official."

"What?" Mia asked as she stopped in her tracks, looking up at Jess.

"You said it doesn't matter if we're not official. So let's have it matter." Jess said, sitting down at the kitchen table. "If that's what you want." He was so calm about everything that it was impossible to tell how he felt about anything.

"Okay. Yeah. Okay." Mia smiled and sat down next to him. Before they could continue anything, the phone rang. He stood up to grab it and looked at it.

He answered it and she looked at him with her eyebrow raised. He talked for a few minutes and when they hung up, he took a deep breath as he watched her as she got a glass of ice water. "It was Rory." Jess said.

Mia looked down at the sink and started thinking. Was Rory always going to come in between Jess and Mia?

A/N : Chapter 8! I hope you guys are enjoying!! Also I know I spelled Lorelai wrong in chapter two, people are loving to remind me 🥺 Remember to leave feedback, comment and vote!! Thank you guys!!

word count - 1085