3

CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE

"Let me guess, you don't wanna be here?" Loreali asks and Jess rolls his eyes. Mia listens from the other side of the door.

"It doesn't matter." He shakes his head, just wanting to go back inside to Mia.

"I mean, here in Stars Hallow." Loreali said. Mia knew she wasn't going to get anything from him.

"Well, geez, Ms. Gilmore, why would anyone not wanna be here in Stars Hallow? That just sounds plum crazy." Mia listened carefully to Jess' words, hoping in her soul that he didn't do something stupid on his first day in town.

"Jess, let me give you a little advice. The whole, 'my parents don't get me' thing, I've been there." Loreali said and Jess didn't bother to listen to her.

"You have, huh?" He asks with a cocky grin.

"Yes, I have. I've also done the 'chip on my shoulder' bit. Ooh, and the surly, sarcastic, 'the world can bite my ass' bit, and let me tell you, I mastered them all, in heels, yet. And everything you're feeling might be totally justified, maybe you are getting screwed. But Luke is a great guy. He's very special, and he really wants to take care of you and make things right for you. You're incredibly lucky to have him. If you give this situation half a chance, you might be surprised at how good it can be, how much you like living here, and how comfortable it feels to have someone like Luke you can really depend on." Loreali performs. It was the truth. He really needed to respect the man who was giving him a home but he wasn't going to listen to some woman he just met.

"What,  are you sleeping with him or something?" Jess asks and Mia looks out the window on the door. What the hell would possess him to say that?

"Excuse me?" Loreali started getting angrier as the conversation continued.

"I don't know. The whole starry eyed 'you're so much better off, just give it a chance' speech. You're either really naïve, or you're getting some." Jess said. Someone needs to go inside or this conversation was going to get uglier.

"Ugh. There have been very few moments in my life where I have actually wished I had one of those enormous cream pies you can just smash in someone's face, but this is definitely one of them." Loreali said.

"Well, now, that's not very neighborly." Jess chuckles, he truly did not care about this conversation and Mia wasn't sure how she felt about that.

"Hey, you know what, this is my house, and I choose how I get talked to in it, ha ha." Loreali said, crossing her arms.

"You know, you don't know anything about me, or my life, or my mom, or Luke, so why don't you Doctor Laura someone else." Jess rolls his eyes.

"I'm going inside. Stay out of my fridge." Loreali snaps and Mia quickly moves to make it look like she was doing something so they wouldn't think she was eavesdropping.

Luke walks in around the same time Loreali comes in. "Where's Jess?" He looks at Loreali and then Mia, figuring one of them knew.

"Practicing his audition for 'The Breakfast Club.' He's getting good." Luke looked at both of them.

"What? What are you talking about?" Luke asks and Mia walks into the conversation, even if it wasn't appropriate.

"Luke, I'm sorry. That kid is way more screwed up than you think he is. I catch him outside with Mia with a beer, I don't even bust him on it, I just...I try talking to him..." Loreali said and Mia jumped in.

"Miss. Gilmore, I'm sorry I really just think he didn't want to talk about it with you. I don't think he meant anything by it." Mia said with a kind smile, hoping she would listen to her.

"Mia, I've known you for a year and I've never even seen you associate with someone like Jess. And suddenly you're defending him?" Loreali says and Luke comes in, she had no place talking to Jess or Mia like that.

"What do you mean, talk to him? What did you say?" Luke asks, getting a worried look on his face.

" I said he's got a good thing going here with you and he shouldn't blow it, and then, well then he just got charming." Loreali shakes her head, going against Mia and Luke.

"What are you doing talking to him or Mia about stuff like this? They are not your kids." Luke shakes his head.

"I'm just trying to help you." Loreali takes a deep breath. Her intentions weren't bad but that didn't matter to Luke.

"I don't need your help." Luke says defensively

"Uh, yeah you do." Loreali says. Mia exchanges glances between Luke and Loreali as the conversation continues.

"Oh here we go again, with this "I'm not prepared for this" crap." Luke rolls his eyes.

"This is not crap, this is the truth. Luke, you should've heard him talking." Loreali shakes his head, she wasn't dropping it.

"I don't need to hear him talking, he's my nephew and I know what I'm doing. And I'm getting a little tired of your condescending..." Luke starts. Mia wasn't sure whether to walk away or stay, she just had a natural feeling that she needed to defend Jess.

"I am not being condescending." Loreali throws her hands up as a response.

"Oh, you have a kid, so you know everything." Luke says aggressively.

"I have a kid, so yeah, I know a little bit more than you did." Loreali shrugs.

"You know, you ever think maybe you just got lucky with Rory? I mean, you did get pregnant at sixteen. That doesn't show the greatest decision making skills, now does it?" Luke says and Mia's jaw dropped. Luke had never talked to her like that.

"Wow, two pies." Loreali said and only Mia understood what she meant.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Luke asks.

"Nothing. I'm talking about nothing. And you won't have to hear my opinion on anything ever again, okay?" Loreali asks and Luke smirks, glad.

"I'm gonna go find Jess." Mia says, grabbing her coat off the table and going out the back.

"I'll go with you." Luke follows her. But he ends up going back to his apartment, trusting Mia had it.

She found him a few blocks down. "Wait, Jess. Wait up." Mia says and he stops for her.

-

Author's Note : Chapter 3 is here!! It was pretty short and it was a lot of dialogue between characters that aren't her but it will speed up soon! I promise! Throughout the story, you will find yourself asking why would she do this? My goal is to make the character flawed and make this book not a cliche. I hope you guys enjoy!

Other Stories to Check out!

Trainwreck | Billy Hargrove
That Way | Steve Harrington
The Last Time | True Blood
Like I Can | Tyler Down

word count - 1177