Red as Dawn: Story 2

She walked peacefully through the woods, the dense trees cover blocking out most light, and was fully aware of the group of people following her. Some stalked above in the trees, others less than a mile or so behind her. She smiled to herself, before abruptly stopping. She stood silent for a minute before a devilish laugh escaped her lips. A high-pitched, hysterical, hyena-like laugh. The people following her paused, cringing at the unusual noise. She ran a hand through her dark red hair, which she'd recently cropped short. Long on top, shaved short on the sides.

"You would think you could be a bit quieter, or have they finally run out of tracking talent at the pack?" She asked, her voice light and airy, laced with the laughter still escaping her lips. She turned around swiftly, facing a man who'd dropped out of one of the trees with a "thud." He stood watching her with judgment. Crossing his arms over his muscled chest, he spoke,

"You need to come home. We've had enough of your dumb games." His voice was low and demanding, and he straightened to his full height of 6'3 as he stared at the girl. She just cocked her head, a smile playing on her lips.

"You never liked me anyway, nobody did. Remind me why I need to come back?" She asked, mimicking the man by crossing her arms and also standing to her full height of 6'. His lips tilted up in a snarl, his eyes glowing with hot anger. She laughed again at his display of anger. He took a long step forward, and the playful smile on her face immediately disappeared. She uncrossed her arms, dropping them to her sides with her fists clenched.

"A step closer and buddy boy behind me gets it. Along with the rest of them." She growled menacingly. The boy slowly and silently creeping up behind her stopped in his tracks, blood draining from his face. He immediately backed away back into the trees, away from her. She wanted to smile as she scented his fear, but she didn't.

"That's enough, Cody. You need to come back!" The man shouted, angrily running a hand through his dark auburn hair. The girl, Cody, laughed at him. She bounced forward on her toes, crossing her arms behind her back, smiling at him.

"You really think talking to me, telling me to come back, will get me to come back? I'm not as mentally weak as the rest of you." She spat at him. His body went stiff at the insult, the muscles in his arms tightening. He snarled at her then, revealing pointed canines. She laughed without mirth at him.  She shifted on her feet, uncrossing her arms from behind her back. He did the same, claws slowly starting to form in place of his nails.

"How long's it been, Conner? Nearly ten years? You'd think your obsessive asses would have gotten over it! You're all fucking delusional if you think I'm EVER coming back!" She growled, her eyes changing from vibrant green to a glowing hot red. Conner immediately stiffened, his eyes doing the same as Cody's, except instead of red they were a burnt orange color. He didn't say anything, only flicking his fingers slightly to warn the people in the trees, and the others on the ground who now surrounded them. This action did not escape Cody's notice, who immediately growled.

"You don't get that choice," Conner growled lowly. He stared at Cody, whose eyes were glowing even brighter than he'd think possible. Her lips played up in a smirk, and she raised her chin in the air. She crossed her arms again, and Conner went still as two shadowy figures appeared behind Cody.

"I think you should give up. I'm not coming back, I'm not marrying that Goddess dammed bastard, and I suggest if you want to leave intact and with all your friends, you leave now." She demanded. The figures became visible, and he held his breath at the sight of them. One male and one female. The male with pitch-black hair, the female with blindingly white hair. The male was taller than Cody, but not by much, and the other female. He had milk chocolate skin, and his eyes were as black as his hair.  His eyes bore into Conner like he was looking through his soul and into his mind. The other girl had pale white skin and her eyes were silver-grey. She was the shortest, around 5'8 or 5'9. She wasn't looking at Conner, but instead, she ran those cold silver eyes around the others surrounding them. She had her delicate arms crossed and stood with an eerie calm. Conner retreated a step, and Cody's smirk grew. Her eyes slowly returned to their vibrant green, and Conner snarled at her. The black-haired man took a threatening step forward, not blocking Cody but sending a warning to Conner. Conners gaze snapped to him.

"This isn't your fight, mutt," Conner warned. The man showed no reaction to the insult and only seemed to continue to stare into Conners soul. Conner's eyes snapped back to Cody, who still had that insufferable smirk on her face.

"Can't fight your own battles, can you? You've gone soft." He snarled, shifting his left foot behind him into a fighting-like stance. The black-haired man stepped back, and the only sign of emotion was a slight smile tugging at the edge of his lisp. The white-haired girl snorted but kept her attention trained on the forest around them. Conner growled louder, and Cody let out a bitter, amused laugh.

"If only. I just don't have time to rip you all to shreds, which, you are fully aware I could." Cody laughed. The girl, without taking her attention off the forest, placed a perfectly manicured hand on Cody's arm. She relaxed slightly against the touch, reining in the temper starting to show. The girl removed her hand and finally turned to look at Conner. Her thin lips curved up in a wicked smile.

"It's time you leave. We have matters to attend to, and we'd rather not have you and your warrior's blood on our clothes." Her voice sweet and melodic, flowing smoothly from her lips. Conner only stared at the girl, not even bothering to growl at the threat. He raised a hand slowly, and his warriors slowly started to back away from where they stood. When they were far enough away, Conner turned and gave Cody one last glare.

"You won't be away for long, Cody. Father will not allow it any longer. You've had your fun, enjoy it while it lasts." Was the last thing Conner said before bolting away. Cody only stood with a smile on her face, revealing her pearly white, surprisingly straight, teeth. The white-haired girl snorted at the look on Cody's face, before turning around. She patted Cody on the arm, and all three started to walk off.

"Why did you call us?" The black-haired boy asked, his voice low and rough, yet calm. Cody shook her head and shrugged, smiling.

"Just for the fun of it. I wanted to see his reaction to y'all." She laughed. The white-haired girl rolled her eyes, laughing slightly.

"Thanks, guys. I'll find a way out of this soon. Let's get going before we're late though. I don't wanna miss the game." Cody said. The two nodded, and they all ran the rest of the way silently out of the woods.

What Cody didn't know, is Conners threat would hold true, and her fun was soon coming to an end.

A/N    Hey guys! This is just another teaser, with an idea I had. I might make it a full story at some point, and please don't kill me for that "cliffhanger."

Thanks for reading!