Stars: Story 5

The room spun as she fell to the floor, tears burning in her eyes that she wouldn't release. Her cheek throbbed with pain, and after a few seconds, it started to give her a headache. An angry voice yelled at her from above, fists clenched and mouth spewing profanities. She tuned them out, staring at the floor she was still sitting on. The voice finally yelled one last word, then stomped away. She sighed, a single tear falling from her left eye. She gently touched her cheek and winced as she made contact. She stood shakily, brushing off her pants and rubbing her arms. She looked towards where her abuser had walked away before turning and walking out the door.

She walked for a while, the cold slowly starting to creep in as she walked past people and stores and other things she didn't bother to notice. Nobody came after her, nobody noticed her, she just kept walking. She walked out of the small town she'd lived in her whole life. She walked down that old highway road into the countryside. She walked and walked and when her feet finally got tired she stopped. She looked around and a hint of a smile played at her lips when she saw what she'd come for.

"I didn't think you'd come." A light voice said. It was a quiet voice, and it was sweet and calming. She shrugged, crossing her arms over herself.

"I'm done with everything. I'm ready to go." She replied to the voice, her own dull and void of any sort of emotion or feeling. The person she was talking to tilted their head, white, glowing hair spilling over their shoulder. Their eyes seemed to glow blue, and their skin was pale as snow. She looked at her feet and sighed.

"Are you sure, Maria?" They asked. Maria nodded. She was ready to move on. No one would miss her, no one would think twice when her seat was empty at school. No one would notice, so she would go. She looked up into the piercing blue eyes that now stood in front of her. Those eyes smiled, and she almost reached out and touched the person's cheek. But she didn't. Because she knew what would happen if she did. So she turned on her heel and kept walking.

She walked for maybe another twenty minutes. Until she came to the cliff edge where she would rest. She sat down near the edge, feet dangling off, and looked up.

There were no clouds tonight. Only an endless amount of shimmering stars staring down at her. The white hair person sat down quietly next to Maria, watching her. They also looked up at the stars.

"Do you think it'll matter?" Maria asked quietly, folding her hands in her lap. The white-haired person blinked, startled at the question. They rested a hand on Maria's and gave her a soft smile as brown eyes met blue. Maria couldn't feel the hand, but she knew it was there. And that was the most confusing thing of all to her.

"Yes and no, darling. I think everything matters, but some don't think so." They whispered. Maria only frowned. She wanted a direct answer, but knowing this white-haired person, they wouldn't give her one.

"That doesn't really answer my question, Atlaeta." Maria responds. Atlaeta laughed, tilting their head back and closing their eyes. Maria just sat there confused, not knowing why they were laughing. Atlaeta stopped then with a sigh and looked at Maria.

"I won't be missed. It won't matter." Maria sighed, looking down at her feet. Atlaeta didn't say anything, but wished that they could, truly, touch Maria.

"I'm ready. I'm ready to be able to feel you. I'm ready to be gone." Maria looked to Atlaeta, eyes pleading and wide. They gave her a small smile, and stood, offering a hand to Maria. Maria didn't take it, she didn't want to. She stood on her own and looked down towards her fate. She looked back up one last time at the stars and gave a small smile.

"To the stars and what's beyond," she whispered. She fell. And as she tumbled towards her doom, she could see Atlaeta at the bottom with pristine white angel wings, arms spread wide, welcoming her home.

A/N It was an idea... idk. 🤷‍♀️😂