thirteen | realizations

"She's got a bloody boyfriend," Sirius groans after Hazel leaves.  He falls backwards onto James and Lily's couch, turning towards Harry, who is being held in Lily's arms.  "What do I do?"

"Sure, ask the 3 day old about a problem that's years older than him." Remus says, earning a laugh from the others.

"I say go after her." Peter shrugs his shoulders, earning a glare from Sirius.

"She's got a boyfriend, Wormtail, and from what I could tell, she seems pretty serious about him."

Lily lets out a laugh. "When has that ever stopped you in at least trying?  And besides, she was telling me earlier she doesn't see them lasting forever.  Maybe you should go after her."

"I'm going to bed." Sirius grumbled, beginning to walk to James and Lily's guest room.

"Since when were you spending the night?" James calls, earning a middle finger from Sirius.

By this time, Hazel was standing outside of her apartment door, manually unlocking it with a key.  After several tries she finally got it, stepping inside and closing and locking the door behind her.  The walls are all different colors from what she initially painted them, as things like that grow boring to her quickly.

After seeing her friends for the first time in over a year, she was quick to realize how much she must have missed out on.  All this time, despite everyone else disagreeing, she was being selfish.  Putting herself first was okay for a while, but all this time?  How could she have been so blind to the amazing life she could have been living?  

The only up side in this situation was the fact that finally, after nearly ten years, she didn't see James Potter as her future, but just a part of it.