Chapter 1

Wang Li was sitting with his life long friend, Xu Chen, in a small cafe off a main road. A large cup of hot chocolate in front of the two ordinary university students. Today, Wang Li would be getting his first tattoo, the tattoo would be in the traditional western style of a young Chinese women's face, Wang Li was yet to see the actual design in person and had only been in contact with the artist over WeChat since he had been swamped with school work. While in deep thought, Xu Chen spoke in a worried voice.

"Xiao Li, eat some food before we go. It's best if you eat before a tattoo."

Xu Chen was sitting across from Wang Li and could see how nervous he was, there was even a small hint of sweat over Wang Li's top lip.

"I'll eat after, I can't stomach anything yet."

Intermittently Wang Li was checking his phone for the time, though it seemed as if the minutes were moving in slow motion since the numbers looked the same from the last time he had checked. Xu Chen had quickly noticed this and couldn't stand the sight.

"Calm down, what are you nervous for?"

Wang Li was about to speak when he looked up and watched as someone entered the small cafe over Xu Chen's shoulder. His mind went completely blank as he stared at the man across the room. The man that had walked in was extremely tall and had to bend his head down in order to not hit his head on his way in. He was wearing a black trench coat with a speckled grey wool sweater underneath, paired with black jeans. The stranger's face was mostly covered from a black mask but when he stood at the counter he pulled it down to his chin, revealing more of his side profile to Wang Li.

"Xiao Li."

Wang Li was still staring at the man across the room and couldn't hear his best friend trying to get his attention, causing Xu Chen to turn around.

"Wa~, what a handsome man and so tall. He must be a model."

Un. Wang Li still couldn't even process what Xu Chen was saying as he was still mesmerized by the man, his eyes never left his tall figure until the stranger had left the cafe, though his mind was in the clouds long after this. Suddenly the alarm he had put on his phone to ensure he wasn't late buzzed lightly, finally disrupting his dreamlike experience.

The tattoo shop wasn't too far from the small cafe they exited and the pair slowly made their way down the road. The two of them walked in silence until they could see the sign of the tattoo studio, only then did Xu Chen tug on Wang Li's shirt.

"Are you sure you want a tattoo? It's not too late to back out."

Wang Li couldn't lie and say he wasn't nervous, since it was pretty obvious, but he patted his friends hand and continued to the studio, opening the door. Xu Chen could only follow behind nervously. Once inside, a woman in her late thirties with a pixie cut sat behind a wooden reception desk, welcoming them warmly.

"Hello, appointment?"

"Yes, the artist is Kong Da."

The woman could hear a little shakiness in Wang Li's voice and smiled warmly before leading them behind the desk to the waiting area.

"He's getting everything set up but the wait shouldn't be long. Would you like a warm drink?"

Both young men declined, then sat beside each other on a plush leather sofa. The waiting section was  only a few sofas and armchairs set up in a large square; the rest of the large open room was dedicated to a couple massage tables, two desks and large shelves filled with tattoo equipment. Wang Li leaned close to Xu Chen and whispered.